Auditory Processing Disorder and Foreign Language Learning
Thread poster: Miguel Carmona

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:56
English to Spanish
Sep 30, 2013

If you sometimes feel like you do not learn foreign languages (the listening aspect) as quick as (or maybe even significantly slower than) other people, you may have Auditory Processing Disorder.

Also, you may have APD if you have some of the following:
  • Complaints of hearing problems but audiology tests show that your hearing is OK

• Difficulty understanding song lyrics

• Difficulty understanding lengthy oral directions or explanations

• Difficulty understanding what others say when there is background noise

• Difficulty following group conversations

• Difficulty participating in phone conferences

An indication of the probable presence of this condition is that you notice that in oral communications, under the same circumstances, everybody else seems to do reasonably fine, but you have problems understanding, following, participating, making progress, etc.

From the Wikipedia article on Auditory Processing Disorder:
”Individuals with APD... cannot process the information they hear in the same way as others do, which leads to difficulties in recognizing and interpreting sounds, especially the sounds composing speech.”
For the full Wikipedia article, click here.

For a very interesting blog about Auditory Processing Disorder, click here.

And for a very interesting book titled When the Brain Can't Hear, click here.

Lastly, it is important to note that in many cases it may be difficult to determine whether it is a case of Attention Defficit Disorder or Auditory Processing Disorder, given the similarities between the signs of both conditions.

[Edited at 2013-09-30 20:35 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Molly Roses

Local time: 11:56
Italian to English
+ ...
I know Nov 4, 2013

If there is someone interested in the personal experiences of a translator with APD, I would be willing to give them the 'benefit' of my experience.
I would prefer to do it over my email...

OH Henry
United Kingdom
your experience as a translater with APD and second language learning Nov 24, 2014

Hello
I am so interested to hear of your experience as a translator.
As an adult struggling with the spanish language i clasify myself as someone who won't give up but recognize i might die trying. My first language is English. Attempts at Spanish started in high school and followed by several further usually short lived attempts all through my adult life to extend my learning. Running in the background is dyspraxia and elements of APD and AD, Diagnosed in my 5th decade, Had successful professional career including degree and post graduate studies. I attend clases and find processing my teachers speech extremely difficult. (she is fast speaking spanish lady) News items are difficult but less so. I read and translate spanish much better but I am not fluent. i am now using "duolingo"which has emphasised my problems with learning.
How did you do it.
Look forward to your account.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Auditory Processing Disorder and Foreign Language Learning

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search