What diploma or certificate can I work for?
Thread poster: Robert Ward-Harris

Robert Ward-Harris  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Spanish to English
Feb 13, 2014

Ok this is my problem.

I moved to Spain when I was 16, re-entered high school and after 18 months I left with my "Certificado de educación secundaria obligatoria". From there I went to college but was forced to leave after 12 months and find a job.

After translating for the past 4 years I had decided that this is what I wanted to do professionally. I did some research and I was about to prepare myself for the D.E.L.E. C2 but read this evening online that the candidate must not have studied all or part of their primary or secondary education in Spanish. This to me means I cannot apply seeing as I have finished my secondary education here.

What are my other options? I can't do the D.E.L.E because I went to high school here, I can't do the equivalent in english as I'm native, leaving my job and going to university is impossible and I can't seem to find any long distance courses worth the money. Basically I'm stuck.

Any suggestions would mean a lot to me.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Ward-Harris

Direct link Reply with quote

Susie Rawson  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2014)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A crazy idea Feb 14, 2014

Well. Here´s a solution. Or maybe not. I live part time in Argentina and part time in the United States, and am currently studying an on-line three year course of English-Spanish Translation. It is based in Argentina, but why not.If you think this is an option, let me know and I can give you further information. Hope it helps.

Direct link Reply with quote

Frankie JB
English to French
+ ...
Why not asking for some flexibility? Feb 14, 2014

I can't help much with practical solutions but I do believe that they could show understanding if you explain them your issue and may accept you as a student. Rules are never as unbendable as they appear to be.

I took a master's degree here in France, catering for French-mother-tongue speakers, but there was that kind American girl who was very fluent in oral French but astonishingly faulty/awkward in writing. What happened? They accepted her so that she could prepare for the diploma into English... This case was certainly harder than yours...

Try and enroll, ask them for flexibility if needed, explain them your situation, and fees will do the rest...

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:29
Member (2007)
+ ...
Some ideas Feb 14, 2014

Robert Ward-Harris wrote:
I can't do the D.E.L.E because I went to high school here, I can't do the equivalent in english as I'm native, leaving my job and going to university is impossible and I can't seem to find any long distance courses worth the money. Basically I'm stuck.

If you don't have anything, you might be interested in doing an IGCSE English First Language. There are ways to prepare for it locally, and many language schools around the world where you can take the exam. I had my son coached for it when we lived in France, and I successfully coached a FR/EN bilingual girl (I was qualified to coach my son myself but it just wasn't going to be a happy experience). I don't know if it would be too useful to you, but I'll let you decide.

I'm also sure that it would be worthwhile investigating the DELE - the worst they can say is 'No'!

For a basic translation qualification, why not do something like the one I did in FR/EN? You'll find it on my profile (I don't like to advertise for a private company, but I was very pleased with the tuition I received). Long term, I'm sure the DipTrans would be the ideal certification for you. There's a very low pass rate, so be sure to take it very seriously, and not before you're ready.

Direct link Reply with quote

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
English to Polish
+ ...
Take DipTrans? Feb 15, 2014

Just a thought.

Direct link Reply with quote

Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
Private certificates, DipTrans, MITI Feb 15, 2014

Moving to Spain when you were 16 may mean that you are now in a sticky situation. I'm sure you're bilingual at a spoken level, but your English writing skills may not be fully mature, and, naturally, your Spanish writing skills may not be as good as a native Spaniard.

If your writing skills are good enough, then you should be looking for a diploma or certificate in translation, not a monolingual exam like the DELE.

I'd recommend two distance-learning sites:
http://www.wls.ie/index.htm (mentioned indirectly by Sheila)
http://www.translator-training.com/ (formerly the Suzanne James course).

The type of course offered by the above sites will take you from your current level in terms of language and translation to a pre-DipTrans level, and eventually prepare you for the DipTrans exam itself.

I personally wouldn't recommend sitting the DipTrans right now unless you are very confident of your translation skills. It's a tough exam and very expensive, especially if you have to sit it more than once. More details about the exam itself here: http://www.iol.org.uk/qualifications/exams_diptrans.asp

Another possibility would be to join the ITI as an associate member, with a view to becoming an exam-qualified member in due course. More details here: http://www.iti.org.uk/become-a-member/membership-categories/2-uncategorised/373-individual-membership

For a comparison of the DipTrans and ITI exams, you might like to read my blog post on the subject: http://signsandsymptomsoftranslation.com/2013/06/11/diptrans-miti/

Direct link Reply with quote

Robert Ward-Harris  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
Spanish to English
Thanks! Feb 15, 2014

Thank you everyone for your feedback.

After doing a bit more research I think the best option for me will be the MITI even though I am still waiting for a response from the Cervantes Institute for the DELE. In the meantime I will continue to learn and maybe in a year or two present myself for the DipTrans

Thanks Emma for the information provided on your blog as this definitely swayed my decision.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What diploma or certificate can I work for?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search