French pronunciation for beginners
Thread poster: Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 21:55
Dec 1, 2004

Hi everyone,

I've recently been asked by a local family (Maman, Papa, 3 kids aged 12,9,4) to teach them French, as they have recently bought property in France, and will obviously be spending more time there.

I am starting from scratch, so that's easy enough, but I am interested in finding out how you have built up the student's confidence in French pronouciation.

Maman, you see, is petrified of sounding silly or too "irish" when speaking French. She finds
... See more
Hi everyone,

I've recently been asked by a local family (Maman, Papa, 3 kids aged 12,9,4) to teach them French, as they have recently bought property in France, and will obviously be spending more time there.

I am starting from scratch, so that's easy enough, but I am interested in finding out how you have built up the student's confidence in French pronouciation.

Maman, you see, is petrified of sounding silly or too "irish" when speaking French. She finds nasal sounds particularly difficult.
I will compile a tape of various phrases, and draw up basic notes on pronounciation etc, and I will practise them with her, but I wonder if there are any other methods I could try?

Merci

Orla

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-12-02 18:17]
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 16:55
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
You need a method Dec 2, 2004

by a method I mean one book, an exercise book and a tape or CD of FLE (Français langue étrangère) that come all together.

They exist in all levels and they are published by all the Publishing houses (Didier, Hatier, Nathan...). Don't think that with that material the teacher is useless and don't try to invent al the activities around a lesson. The audio material is expensive but really useful because they are going to listen to other people than the teacher and they will feel lik
... See more
by a method I mean one book, an exercise book and a tape or CD of FLE (Français langue étrangère) that come all together.

They exist in all levels and they are published by all the Publishing houses (Didier, Hatier, Nathan...). Don't think that with that material the teacher is useless and don't try to invent al the activities around a lesson. The audio material is expensive but really useful because they are going to listen to other people than the teacher and they will feel like in real situation. There should also be pronounciation exercises.

Good luck

Claudia
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 14:55
German to English
French pronunciation Dec 2, 2004

Orla Ryan wrote:

Maman, you see, is petrified of sounding silly or too "irish" when speaking French. She finds nasal sounds particularly difficult.

Hi Orla,
I agree with Claudia that your pupils will need lots of exposure to the sound of the French language. They'll get it from you and from tapes. In the beginning they need to hear short phrases over and over again, and they need to repeat what they heard.

There could be a problem with Maman and Papa, however. I moved to Germany with my family when I was 11. My father was 37 and had studied some German at university in the US and was attending the Technische Hochschule in Aachen where he earned a PhD. We spent four years in Germany, and my father never learned how to pronounce German properly. The German "r's" and Umlauts were completely beyond him. You could tell he was an American a mile away. This is true for most people learning a foreign language later in life. In my case, as an eleven-year-old immersed in German, acquiring a native speaker accent wasn't a problem.

[Edited at 2004-12-03 01:52]

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 13:55
English to French
+ ...
You've put your finger on it! Dec 2, 2004

Orla Ryan wrote:

In my experience the main problem with adults is exactly that: they worry too much about sounding silly, saying the wrong thing, so forth. They usually improve in leaps and bounds once they get over it.

HTH
Sarah

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
Materials Dec 2, 2004

Maybe someone else has worked with this book and cassettes and can comment on its usefulness.
---
Pronounce it Perfectly
Publisher Comments:
Practical training emphasizes command of French vowel sounds and nasals--ordinarily difficult for English speakers--including vowels with and without written accent marks, as well as v
... See more
Maybe someone else has worked with this book and cassettes and can comment on its usefulness.
---
Pronounce it Perfectly
Publisher Comments:
Practical training emphasizes command of French vowel sounds and nasals--ordinarily difficult for English speakers--including vowels with and without written accent marks, as well as vowel combinations.*
Reviews
http://www.palindromes.com/amazon/asinsearch_0812080386.html

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0812080386/102-8030834-8848918?v=glance
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Mexico
German to English
Another resource Dec 3, 2004

Welcome to the French Teachers Chatboard. This forum is dedicated to discussions related to teaching French as a second language. Please bookmark this resource and contribute often, and be sure to tell your colleagues about all of the free teacher resources on Teachers.Net!

http://teachers.net/mentors/french/posts.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French pronunciation for beginners

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »