Isabelle Pelchat
Isabelle Pelchat  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:28
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 11, 2014

I would like to give French courses online but I don't really know where to start. I know I can use Skype but if I do, where could I advertise my services (beside Proz)? Should I join an online teacher directory? If so, which one? If you teach online, can you explain to me how you do it and how do you advertise your services to reach your students?

Daniel Meier
Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
English to German
+ ...
wiziq Nov 11, 2014

Just recently, a colleague told me about this site:
https://www.wiziq.com/

As I am not a teacher, I just had a quick look, but maybe it could be interesting for you.

Isabelle Pelchat
Canada
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 11, 2014

Thanks for the info. I will have a look at it.

Salam Alrawi
Salam Alrawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
Get a simple website and you tube video Nov 11, 2014

Isabelle Pelchat wrote:

I would like to give French courses online but I don't really know where to start. I know I can use Skype but if I do, where could I advertise my services (beside Proz)? Should I join an online teacher directory? If so, which one? If you teach online, can you explain to me how you do it and how do you advertise your services to reach your students?

One good marketing way I have seen is: YouTube

For example you can make a very simple beginner class about an hour or 1 1/2 hours and divide it into multiple 10 to 15 minutes videos and upload them on you tube. If you do really good job on them and make them very simple and easy learning materials to understand and follow then many people will be willing to get more.

I needed to know something about Microsoft access one time, searched you tube and found this guy who made it very nice and easy learning. Close to the end of the video he puts a link for next video. I kept following it until I finished them. And then I decided to buy all his course for access and also got few others too like excel...etc.

However, those were pre made videos. He makes them first, get them ready and publish them. He follows up on student questions, answer them and provide examples. I loved them. He had his own simple website, I didn't like his website as it was very old age school type but I didn't care cause his teaching way and videos were really great, at least for me.

Here is the link:

http://m.youtube.com/user/599CD

Look it up, it might be of help to you on how you market yourself.

If you are interested in other ways of marketing, just ask.

Wish you the best, I love your idea and I support your motivation and enthusiasm. And if you publish your first course, send me a message. I will buy your first video.

Good luck.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Youtube Nov 11, 2014

Salam Alrawi wrote:

Isabelle Pelchat wrote:

One good marketing way I have seen is: YouTube

For example you can make a very simple beginner class about an hour or 1 1/2 hours and divide it into multiple 10 to 15 minutes videos and upload them on you tube. If you do really good job on them and make them very simple and easy learning materials to understand and follow then many people will be willing to get more.

I needed to know something about Microsoft access one time, searched you tube and found this guy who made it very nice and easy learning. Close to the end of the video he puts a link for next video. I kept following it until I finished them. And then I decided to buy all his course for access and also got few others too like excel...etc.

However, those were pre made videos. He makes them first, get them ready and publish them. He follows up on student questions, answer them and provide examples. I loved them. He had his own simple website, I didn't like his website as it was very old age school type but I didn't care cause his teaching way and videos were really great, at least for me.

Here is the link:

http://m.youtube.com/user/599CD

Look it up, it might be of help to you on how you market yourself.

If you are interested in other ways of marketing, just ask.

Wish you the best, I love your idea and I support your motivation and enthusiasm. And if you publish your first course, send me a message. I will buy your first video.

Good luck.

One other nice thing about using YouTube is that you can actually make a little extra money from the videos themselves, should you decide to monetize them. Surely you have seen the ads before some videos, and those little pop-up windows in the lower part of the screen.Every time you see one of those, the video creator is making a little bit of money from the ad revenue.

I started uploading just recently. I only have three videos, and only one of them would be of any interest to the people here (how I customized my profile here on Proz), but I've made $0.70! Obviously, as you gain more viewers, you will make more money from it. Many people actually work full-time making and uploading videos. I would think that French lessons will attract a larger crowd than my video game translation videos do.

Isabelle Pelchat
Canada
Member (2007)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Videos Nov 12, 2014

@Salam

Videos on Youtube, what a great idea! It's obvious Youtube is a good marketing tool. I should have thought of this before! I think I already have some ideas for my French courses. Your suggestion even gave me an idea for my translation services. Thank you!

@Triston

I like your suggestion too. If I could make a little extra money, why not! Thank you!

Salam Alrawi
Salam Alrawi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:28
English to Arabic
+ ...
Set a plan and work on it Nov 12, 2014

Isabelle Pelchat wrote:

@Salam

Videos on Youtube, what a great idea! It's obvious Youtube is a good marketing tool. I should have thought of this before! I think I already have some ideas for my French courses. Your suggestion even gave me an idea for my translation services. Thank you!

@Triston

I like your suggestion too. If I could make a little extra money, why not! Thank you!

Glad I could help. You tube is a good marketing place. There also are other ways, each probably depends on your contents, methods ..etc.
You also might want to look up competition and other methods available out there.

Also, just a suggestion, if you need help financing (software, tools ..etc) I wouldn't mind investing too if you can provide a plan and how to execute it and some samples and be within my investing power

Good luck

Valeria Uva
Valeria Uva  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
One question Nov 12, 2014

Hi, I've been reading this topic and I found it very interesting 'cause I also plan to give lessons online.

Now I have one question about the use of youtube: how can I record a video like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGOkSUpU8g&list=UUl7-jJie4ifOVK87FINIuDg

I mean, how can I record on a video file the screen of my P
... See more
Hi, I've been reading this topic and I found it very interesting 'cause I also plan to give lessons online.

Now I have one question about the use of youtube: how can I record a video like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxGOkSUpU8g&list=UUl7-jJie4ifOVK87FINIuDg

I mean, how can I record on a video file the screen of my PC while I'm giving the lesson?

I apologize for my terrible English

Have a nice day,
Valeria
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Software Nov 12, 2014

I am still new to this, so there may be better options than the ones I am familiar with. I use a screen capture program called Open Broadcaster Software (it's free). With it, you can select what screens, windows or areas you want to capture and record. Everything else is just simple editing. I use Photoshop CS6 (or CC) and I just started playing with After Effects for my video editing, but there are a lot of free programs as well. Even YouTube has its own editing program that you can access once... See more
I am still new to this, so there may be better options than the ones I am familiar with. I use a screen capture program called Open Broadcaster Software (it's free). With it, you can select what screens, windows or areas you want to capture and record. Everything else is just simple editing. I use Photoshop CS6 (or CC) and I just started playing with After Effects for my video editing, but there are a lot of free programs as well. Even YouTube has its own editing program that you can access once you upload a video.Collapse

Valeria Uva
Valeria Uva  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Thanks Nov 16, 2014

Thank you, Triston!

I'll have a look at the tools that you suggest.

Bye, Valeria

Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Facebook Nov 16, 2014

Facebook can be a good idea as well. A colleague of mine gets nearly all her clients from there. But of course it takes time!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Online teaching

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »