Estelle Demontrond-Box
Estelle Demontrond-Box  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 06:55
English to French
+ ...
Jan 19, 2005

Hi all,

Could anybody tell me what a French tutor can ask in London (several years experience in teaching + teaching degree + experience in tutoring)? Does the fee differ according to the number of people you teach to?
Thank you for your help.

Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
French to English
Maths tutor Jan 19, 2005

We live in England. I can't help with French but I pay a maths tutor £22 for an hour to help my 15 year old daughter.

HTH
Mary

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 25, 2005

Thank you Mary. COuld anybody tell me if there is a difference in fee when you teach 1-2-1 or to a group of students?
Estelle

Charlotte Allen
Charlotte Allen  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
French to English
Definitely. My fees always varied depending on the size of the group. Feb 2, 2005

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:

Thank you Mary. COuld anybody tell me if there is a difference in fee when you teach 1-2-1 or to a group of students?
Estelle

You might want to charge around £25 for an individual lesson, but if you're teaching a small group, vary your fees accordingly (this takes into account the fact that the group is getting less individual attention).

The way I worked it out when I was teaching privately was by deciding on a minimum hourly fee I wanted to earn - let's say, £30. Then divide that fee by the number in the group to get the individual price, and round it up. So if you had two students, it would be £15 each, three would pay £10 each, four might pay £8 each and so on. But also have a minimum charge regardless of the number in the group. So if you were lucky enough to have a group of five or six, you would still want to charge them £8 each. (If you charge too low a price, you make yourself look unprofessional). Of course, you have to remember that you are competing against much cheaper evening classes at local colleges, so you have to sell yourself based on the fact that your students are getting PERSONAL, individualised attention.

All the best!

Charlotte.

Estelle Demontrond-Box
Australia
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice Feb 3, 2005

Charlotte Allen wrote:

Estelle Demontrond-Box wrote:

Estelle

You might want to charge around £25 for an individual lesson, but if you're teaching a small group, vary your fees accordingly (this takes into account the fact that the group is getting less individual attention).

The way I worked it out when I was teaching privately was by deciding on a minimum hourly fee I wanted to earn - let's say, £30. Then divide that fee by the number in the group to get the individual price, and round it up. So if you had two students, it would be £15 each, three would pay £10 each, four might pay £8 each and so on. But also have a minimum charge regardless of the number in the group. So if you were lucky enough to have a group of five or six, you would still want to charge them £8 each. (If you charge too low a price, you make yourself look unprofessional). Of course, you have to remember that you are competing against much cheaper evening classes at local colleges, so you have to sell yourself based on the fact that your students are getting PERSONAL, individualised attention.

All the best!

Charlotte.

Thank you so much Charlotte. This is really helping!
Estelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French tutors in London: fees

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »