https://www.proz.com/forum/teaching_and_learning_languages/35035-arabic_levantine_colloquial.html

Arabic (Levantine/Colloquial)
Thread poster: Kerstin Mohnberg
Kerstin Mohnberg
Kerstin Mohnberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:31
English to German
Jul 24, 2005

Hi, I would like to teach myself good speaking skills in Levantine (Lebanese/Palestinian) Arabic. Can anybody recommend a good text book/CD?
I have good foundations of Modern Standard Arabic (Translation Degree into German) and I used to b relatively fluent in the Egyptian dialect (now very rusty...).
But I have always been quite a text-based "grammarian", so what I am looking for now is really hands-on spoken Arabic.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:31
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Find a native speaker Jul 25, 2005

Since you have a good knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic and already have learned one spoken dialect, I would suggest that you simply find a native speaker of the dialect you now wish to learn and use him or her as a Language Resource Person (LRP).

See these articles by Greg Thomson on how to learn a language using a native speaker as a Language Resource Person (LRP).

"Kick-starting Your Language Learning"
... See more
Since you have a good knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic and already have learned one spoken dialect, I would suggest that you simply find a native speaker of the dialect you now wish to learn and use him or her as a Language Resource Person (LRP).

See these articles by Greg Thomson on how to learn a language using a native speaker as a Language Resource Person (LRP).

"Kick-starting Your Language Learning"
www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/kickstrt.htm

"Leave Me Alone! Can't You See I'm Learning Your Language?" by Greg Thomson
www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/leaveme.htm

"Language Learning in the Real World for Non-beginners" by Greg Thomson
www.languageimpact.com/articles/gt/nonbegnr.htm
Collapse

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
Local time: 02:31
English to German
Try "Just Listen 'n' Learn Arabic" by Nadira Auty Jul 25, 2005

I liked "Just Listen 'n' Learn Arabic" by Nadira Auty, Rachael Harris, Clive Holes and Brian Hill. ISBN 084428470X or 0071452702
This course focuses on spoken Levantine Arabic.

dmoamin
dmoamin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:31
Arabic to English
+ ...
A teacher Jul 26, 2005

Hi
I would highly recommend a good Arabic teacher a good friend of mine who can work with you, may be test you or your skills, provide you with some homework every now and then or may be work on some speaking classes for you if you want below is his email address

[email protected]

he works independently and he also works around your schedule, he is a member of proz.com as well.

hope this helps
... See more
Hi
I would highly recommend a good Arabic teacher a good friend of mine who can work with you, may be test you or your skills, provide you with some homework every now and then or may be work on some speaking classes for you if you want below is his email address

[email protected]

he works independently and he also works around your schedule, he is a member of proz.com as well.

hope this helps
thanks
Dima
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Arabic (Levantine/Colloquial)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »