Private language tutoring in the US
Thread poster: sonja29 (X)

sonja29 (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2005

Hello all,

I would be very grateful for any information and tips re: being a private language tutor in the US (IL). Any sine-qua-non's that I should bear in mind? Any faux pas that would be inexcusable to commit?

For example:

Is there a preferred method of payment (cash? check?) when dealing with private students? What about payment terms: per session/weekly/monthly? (When I taught EFL in Europe, it was perfectly acceptable for the client to pay me in cash after each session. I am far from endorsing "money-under-the-table" here, earnings were reported to the tax authorities, it is just that no intervening paperwork was deemed necessary.)

Also, should I submit an invoice, as in translation? Provide some special receipt? I would really like to do this right!icon_smile.gif

TIA for your wisdom and assistance!

Sonja

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:13
German to English
Depends upon the customer Aug 23, 2005

I've found it easiest to submit a simple invoice at the end of each month. In some instances companies are paying for FL (or ESL/EFL) instruction and require an invoice so that the employee can be reimbursed. Of course, some people are unreliable, so you might not want to wait a month for payment.

You should also set some policy about cancellations. I normally don't charge a fee if the pupil gives me advance notice of a cancellation, but I do charge if he/she doesn't bother to let me know until the last minute (waived for emergencies: accidents do happen!).

craigs
Local time: 04:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Cash is fine Aug 23, 2005

sonja29 wrote:
When I taught EFL in Europe, it was perfectly acceptable for the client to pay me in cash after each session.

That's exactly how I did business with my tutor in the past. As far as I've seen, it's whatever you work out with each individual. In small amounts and on a private basis, I don't think paying in cash is any burden. This is assuming that you're not acting for a business or corporation--can't help you there.

Good luck.

sonja29 (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Aug 24, 2005

Thank you, Kevin, for your reply and useful tips, esp. on the cancellation policy.

I would feel comfortable with a monthly invoice to a company, but would be hesitant to wait that long with individual new clients. You never know... A weekly invoice might be more appropriate in that case.

Again, many thanks!

sonja29 (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Aug 24, 2005

craigs wrote:

That's exactly how I did business with my tutor in the past. As far as I've seen, it's whatever you work out with each individual. In small amounts and on a private basis, I don't think paying in cash is any burden. This is assuming that you're not acting for a business or corporation--can't help you there.

Good luck.

Thank you, craigs. I was not sure if cash were an acceptable practice when tutoring individuals. Thanks for the reassurance and your good wishes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Private language tutoring in the US

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search