Looking for a crash course on TEFL in the UK
Thread poster: Isabelle Gelle

Isabelle Gelle

Local time: 01:08
English to French
+ ...
Dec 28, 2005

Dear members,

My husband and I will be moving to Kuwait in March 2006 and I am looking for a crash or distance-learning course on TEFL in the UK to help me find a local contract at one of the universities or schools in Kuwait.

Would you have any suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

Isabelle

Direct link Reply with quote

Fiona Gonçalves  Identity Verified
Portugal
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Try International House or Linguarama Dec 28, 2005

Hi Isabelle,

You could check out the International House website -www.ihworld.com. They do both face-to-face and distance TEFL courses. Another possibility might be Linguarama - www.linguarama.com. Many years ago, I did a one-week-long introductory course in TEFL with them, which I found very enjoyable and interesting, but as I couldn't find any mention of these on their website, I don't know if they still do them. You could always contact them and ask.

Hope this helps.
Fiona.

Isabelle Gelle

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Fiona. Dec 28, 2005

This is really helpful and I thank you for taking the time to reply.

Kind regards

Isabelle

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
I-to-I online TEFL course Dec 28, 2005

Isabelle Gellé wrote:

My husband and I will be moving to Kuwait in March 2006 and I am looking for a crash or distance-learning course on TEFL in the UK to help me find a local contract at one of the universities or schools in Kuwait.

Isabelle

Hi Isabelle,

I-to-I do online TEFL courses at various levels ie. 40 hr, 60 hr to 140 hr courses - so they should have something to suit you and as the course is completed online, you can work as quickly (or as slowly) as you like!

Here is their link:

www.onlinetefl.com

Hope this is of some use to you,

Ivana

Isabelle Gelle

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This is great! Dec 29, 2005

Hi Ivana,

This is exactly what I was looking for as it means I do not need to hang around in the UK until I complete a TEFL course so many thanks for this valuable piece of information.

By the way, yours is a powerful profile!!

Best regards

Isabelle

Ivana Micheli wrote:

Isabelle Gellé wrote:

Isabelle

Hi Isabelle,

I-to-I do online TEFL courses at various levels ie. 40 hr, 60 hr to 140 hr courses - so they should have something to suit you and as the course is completed online, you can work as quickly (or as slowly) as you like!

Here is their link:

www.onlinetefl.com

Hope this is of some use to you,

Ivana

Lesley Clarke  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:08
Spanish to English
Another source Dec 29, 2005

The Guardian has an Education supplement that used to come out on Tuesdays (I don't know if it still does) and it is chock-a-block full of advertisements for TEFL courses. Beware of the ones that promise to teach you in a weekend.

Ivana UK  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
... Dec 29, 2005

By the way, yours is a powerful profile!!

And so is yours!

There are lots of online/distance learning TEFL courses available - it's just a matter of choosing the right one. I only know about I-to-I as a friend completed one of their courses last summer and has been in Spain teaching English ever since!

Best of luck with your search!

Ivana

[Edited at 2005-12-29 23:03]

Isabelle Gelle

English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Lesley. Dec 30, 2005

Yes the Guardian is a good idea. Maybe I can find a one week residential course advertised.
Thanks a lot.

Isabelle

Lesley Clarke wrote:

The Guardian has an Education supplement that used to come out on Tuesdays (I don't know if it still does) and it is chock-a-block full of advertisements for TEFL courses. Beware of the ones that promise to teach you in a weekend.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for a crash course on TEFL in the UK

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search