Strengthening vocabulary
Thread poster: lingomania
lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 04:41
Italian to English
Oct 4, 2007

To whoever may be interested in finding a good way of teaching new English words to students, I have found that the following "method" works very well:
MAKE THE STUDENTS READ A MONOLINGUAL DICTIONARY...YES. ACTUALLY read a dictionary from page one letter A right on to the last page, letter Z. From 5 to 10 pages a day will do the trick. One of the biggest problems with teaching new English words is not so much the meaning of the words themselves, but how to REMEMBER those meanings. How many
... See more
To whoever may be interested in finding a good way of teaching new English words to students, I have found that the following "method" works very well:
MAKE THE STUDENTS READ A MONOLINGUAL DICTIONARY...YES. ACTUALLY read a dictionary from page one letter A right on to the last page, letter Z. From 5 to 10 pages a day will do the trick. One of the biggest problems with teaching new English words is not so much the meaning of the words themselves, but how to REMEMBER those meanings. How many English teachers here recall students saying "I don't remember the words"...or "I don't know many words in English". Well, now we have a new "tool" to work with. Why a MONOlingual dictionary? Because students NECESSARILY have to avoid mental translations of English words to another language and vice versa in order to USE those words in sentences. They have to learn the new words within the context of the sentence and where else can they find those words if not in a GOOD dictionary that offers many examples on the use of the word(s) concerned??!
Comments welcome of course.
Robert.

[Edited at 2007-10-04 15:13]

[Edited at 2007-10-04 16:23]
Collapse

Eva Straus
Eva Straus  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 20:41
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
It works! Oct 4, 2007

Agree! It really helps with the vocabulary. And you also learn how to put something in other words (rephrase). I learned a lot this way.

If you can make your students see the benefits of reading a glossary or monolingual dictionary, they should progress quickly. Learner's dictionaries are the best for this purpose.

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 04:41
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 4, 2007

I'm glad you agree Eva. I spent too much time trying to figure out the best and simplest way of conveying vocab to students.

Rob

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I don't agree Oct 4, 2007

Using a monolingual dictionary is really useful, but only for advanced students, and those who study the language for the language itself and not as a means of communication.

Reading a dictionary from A to Z is pointless. It makes more sense to study a group of words, i.e. ones that belong to the same "family" of words, derived from the same root, having a similar ending, etc.

A much better and more powerful approach is learning vocabulary by concepts. 20 sea creatures,
... See more
Using a monolingual dictionary is really useful, but only for advanced students, and those who study the language for the language itself and not as a means of communication.

Reading a dictionary from A to Z is pointless. It makes more sense to study a group of words, i.e. ones that belong to the same "family" of words, derived from the same root, having a similar ending, etc.

A much better and more powerful approach is learning vocabulary by concepts. 20 sea creatures, 20 ways of expressing "go" or "die", 20 colour shades, etc.

A very good source for this purpose is Longman's Language Activator, "The World's First Production Dictionary", first published in 1993.

This wonderful book lists the most commonly used English words by fields of concept. In each listing, the most frequently used word is listed first, the 2nd most frequent is 2nd, etc. All words are backed up by a large number of sample sentences and semantic cross-references.

Csaba
Collapse

Eva Straus
Eva Straus  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Member (2007)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You make some good points Oct 4, 2007

Csaba Ban wrote:
Using a monolingual dictionary is really useful, but only for advanced students,

Agree. Not good for total beginners.

and those who study the language for the language itself and not as a means of communication.

Disagree. Both groups can benefit from this method. Both need to build a strong vocabulary! AND reading a monolingual dictionary can teach you how to say stuff using different words.

It makes more sense to study a group of words, i.e. ones that belong to the same "family" of words, derived from the same root, having a similar ending, etc. A much better and more powerful approach is learning vocabulary by concepts. 20 sea creatures, 20 ways of expressing "go" or "die", 20 colour shades, etc.

Agree. Actually, that IS what I do when reading a dictionary. Something grabs my attention and I start surfing the dictionary like it was Wikipedia - you know, when you start following related links to learn more

A very good source for this purpose is Longman's Language Activator, "The World's First Production Dictionary", first published in 1993.

Thanks for the hint! I'll check it out.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 12:41
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
NLP Oct 5, 2007

Good one, Csaba!

Another option is NLP.

We can learn languages and words of a new language if we choose a small group of verbs, for instance: touch, lift, write, pull. Then we relate them to a group of nouns included in a given space, like a classroom: chair, desk, book, balckboard.

The purpose is to associate 4 verbs to 4 nouns and reach 4^2 = 16 potential activities in a new language. Of course, after some months we shall try with larger groups of n
... See more
Good one, Csaba!

Another option is NLP.

We can learn languages and words of a new language if we choose a small group of verbs, for instance: touch, lift, write, pull. Then we relate them to a group of nouns included in a given space, like a classroom: chair, desk, book, balckboard.

The purpose is to associate 4 verbs to 4 nouns and reach 4^2 = 16 potential activities in a new language. Of course, after some months we shall try with larger groups of nouns and verbs, may be later verbs and adverbs, like: walk faster, walk slower, talk angrily, talk calmy, etc.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strengthening vocabulary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »