Thread poster: Carla Davidson
Carla Davidson
Carla Davidson  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 27, 2011

Dear all,

I have recently completed a translation in SDL Trados and after rectifying all errors that came up as a result of the tags being placed incorrectly in the translation, I continue to be unable to 'save target as...' Word. I get this error message:

"Failed to save target content: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas on how to deal wi
... See more
Dear all,

I have recently completed a translation in SDL Trados and after rectifying all errors that came up as a result of the tags being placed incorrectly in the translation, I continue to be unable to 'save target as...' Word. I get this error message:

"Failed to save target content: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any ideas on how to deal with it are most welcome.

Thank you in advance,

Carla
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:04
Swedish to English
+ ...
Reboot May 27, 2011

Never seen that error message, (and it might be serious) but first remember that old computer adage: "if at first you don't succeed, reboot and try again". That might help.

Not sure what you mean by "tags placed incorrectly". Can you tell us more about what you are doing - file format, Trados version, etc ?

Carla Davidson
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Explanation of tags error May 27, 2011

Peter Linton wrote:

Not sure what you mean by "tags placed incorrectly". Can you tell us more about what you are doing - file format, Trados version, etc ?

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. The file I am working on (in SDL Trados Studio 2009) is a 1997-2003 Word file that contains a lot of screenshots and hyperlinks as it is a translation for a website. When I first completed the translation and tried to convert it to Word I got this error:

"Failed to save target content: An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: Possible field(s) deletion."

I then clicked on Verify and went through each error in the file - most of these related to missing tags or tags in the wrong order etc. I thought that after correcting these I would be able to convert it to Word but that is when I got the error I mentioned in my original post ["Failed to save target content: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."].

After having read through some of the other posts on Trados errors I wondered if the file itself might contain odd formatting but when I tested it to see if I could open a new project with the original source file and save it to Word without translating anything, it converted fine so it must be something I did while translating that is causing the error. I'm just not sure what it is.

Carla

Carla Davidson
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem resolved May 27, 2011

Hi again Peter,

After posting my last comment I went to shut down the computer and when I came back to it to switch it on again found it was showing the Blue Screen of Death (just what I needed!). As it transpires, the error message I was getting must have had something to do with a system error rather than being something specific to Trados or the Word file I was working on.

I've since been able to start up the computer as normal, backed up all my files and installed
... See more
Hi again Peter,

After posting my last comment I went to shut down the computer and when I came back to it to switch it on again found it was showing the Blue Screen of Death (just what I needed!). As it transpires, the error message I was getting must have had something to do with a system error rather than being something specific to Trados or the Word file I was working on.

I've since been able to start up the computer as normal, backed up all my files and installed an update the computer identified as important. Eventually I opened up Trados again and have successfully converted my file to Word.

Thank you for your help. Fingers crossed my computer holds up long enough for me to send my client the file!

All the best,

Carla
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 21:04
French to German
+ ...
Field tags must alwas be transferred to the target May 29, 2011

Carla Davidson wrote:

-- The file I am working on (in SDL Trados Studio 2009) is a 1997-2003 Word file that contains a lot of screenshots and hyperlinks as it is a translation for a website. When I first completed the translation and tried to convert it to Word I got this error:

"Failed to save target content: An error occurred while converting fields back to Microsoft Word format: Possible field(s) deletion."

The error message you quote is very common and appears whenever a 'field' tag has not been transferred from source to target. 'Field' tags MUST always be transferred to the target segment. One should never simply ignore the error that appears in the status column when you confirm such a segment with a missing field tag.

You should find them by looking for hyperlinks, this is where these tags are mainly used.

Walter

Always check field tags Dec 12, 2011

[/quote]

The error message you quote is very common and appears whenever a 'field' tag has not been transferred from source to target. 'Field' tags MUST always be transferred to the target segment. One should never simply ignore the error that appears in the status column when you confirm such a segment with a missing field tag.

You should find them by looking for hyperlinks, this is where these tags are mainly used.

Walter [/quote]

I agree. It
... See more
[/quote]

Walter [/quote]

I agree. It must be the field tags that cause the problem - at least in my case it was. I got the same error message, but thanks to you guys I managed to fix it in no time. I put all the missing field tags back and it all worked out. It didn't seem to matter that I still left some of the other tags out.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to save target as Word - error message appears

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »