yelliott
yelliott
Japan
Local time: 06:19
Japanese to English
+ ...
Dec 24, 2011

I am using Trados Studio 2011.

A double-byte space and a single-byte space look the same in the editor. Is there any way to display double-byte spaces differently or to check double-byte spaces contained in the translated segment?

Thank you in advance.

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 04:19
English to Thai
+ ...
In MS Word + hidden text display Dec 25, 2011

I always briefly get rid of this issue by selecting all in Editor and paste in MS Word + hidden text display to see double byte spaces. It is quick.
For short statements, use "double-byte" space search and replace to quickly mend it.
Soonthon Lupkitaro

Michael Grant
Michael Grant
Japan
Japanese to English
One of the reasons why I like WF Classic or Trados Workbench better than Studio... Dec 26, 2011

...but that's neither here nor there...

Along the line already suggested: if your source file is a Word document, I would use "Save Target As..." instead of copying and pasting from Trados Studio, just to make sure nothing is missed.

In Word(2000/2003/2007), you can easily create a macro to do this:

Code:

Sub FindReplaceD... See more
...but that's neither here nor there...

Along the line already suggested: if your source file is a Word document, I would use "Save Target As..." instead of copying and pasting from Trados Studio, just to make sure nothing is missed.

In Word(2000/2003/2007), you can easily create a macro to do this:

Code:

Sub FindReplaceDBSpaces()
With Selection.Find
.Text = " " ' <== Double-byte space here
.Replacement.Text = " " ' <== Single-byte space here
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False
.MatchByte = False
.MatchAllWordForms = False
.MatchSoundsLike = False
.MatchFuzzy = False
.MatchWildcards = True
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
End Sub

Ideally you would create a [Standard module] using the VBEditor with your Normal.dot and paste the code into it, but you can also just paste the above code in the [ThisDocument] section of the VBEditor (Alt+F11) in any document, and run the macro "FindReplaceDBSpaces" from the Macros dialog box (Alt+F8). (Always work on a copy of the .doc so you don't risk losing any work!!!)

If you decide to try the above Word macro, let me know if you have any problems.

Regards,
MLGrant
Collapse

yelliott
yelliott
Japan
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word is the only solution.. Dec 29, 2011

Thank you very much for your suggestions!

It is very disappointing that Studio does not support double-byte space handling. I decided to use a Word macro and Studio QA checker.

Regards,
Yukari Ando

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio: Double-byte space

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search