Help understanding Transit analysis (status report)
Thread poster: isabelita1 (X)

isabelita1 (X)
Local time: 18:39
Apr 4, 2008

Hello!

If I have the following Transit report results for a project, where all the letters have different values:

Pretranslated = A
Partially translated =B
100-95% = C
94-85%= D
84-75%= E
74-50%= F
Not Translated = G
Total = X

Shall X (total) be the sum of all the previous data (that is, A + B + C + D + E + F + G)?

For invoicing purposes, let's imagine we leave out A (pretranslated).

Of course, we include in the invoice G —in "Not Translated = G"— since these words have not been translated at all.

But then, are the remaining data to be taken into account (B + C + D + E + F)? What is the difference between

Partially translated =B

and all these:

100-95% = C
94-85%= D
84-75%= E
74-50%= F

I mean, the latest (C + D + E + F) are also partially translated, so what exactly does the "partially translated = B" option refers to?

I am really confused and would appreciate it if someone could explain the report to me.

Thanks a lot in advance

Isabel

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Partially translated Apr 4, 2008

These are segments that have been translated from the ref. material during import but which do not agree 100%, i.e. different formating or new numbers. The bits that differ are enclosed in angular brackets

e.g.

ref. mat.: 10% solution
partial: >11%< solution

They are also in a different colour if you have assigned background colours
(under: Options > Profile > Settings > Editor 2/2 > Background: pretranslated segments (select).

HTH,
Jill

isabelita1 (X)
TOPIC STARTER
But what would you include in your invoice? Apr 5, 2008

Actually, what I am quite surprised at is the fact that one customer sent me a report with all different kinds of segments —pretranslated, partially translated, fuzzy-translated (with the percentages) and not translated— and he insist on paying ONLY for the segments rated as "not translated". I agree with leaving out the pretranslated ones, but I do not think I have to work for free on the partially translated ones and on the fuzzy ones (99-85%, 84-50% and so on). I offered him discounted rates for those, but he would try to convince me that it is only with the not translated segments that I will come through during the translation process in transit.

Do you consider this normal?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help understanding Transit analysis (status report)

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search