Source and target segments' number out of sync
Thread poster: Bo Ryden
Bo Ryden  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
French to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 23, 2008

Hi,

I'm using Transit Satellite PE and while translating I got the message that the segment numbers in the source text was out of sync with the segment numbers in the target text. This means, inter alia, that the dictionary doesn't work. I've tried to move the segment number to its right place, but in vain, since they are protected. I can't find any information about this in the Help program.

So, how do I solve this problem?

Very grateful for an answer.

Kind regards,

Bo Ryden

Direct link Reply with quote

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Out-of-sync or wrong number of segments? Apr 23, 2008

Hi Bo,

Are the segments consecutively numbered in target and source or are there different numbers of segments? The latter is far more likely, I've never heard of renumbering (yet!).

Go to the end of your text and compare the segment numbers - are they different? If I remember correctly, Satellite doesn't allow condensing or splitting of segments, so I'm not sure how this could happen.

One solution is to exit Satellite and start it again to see what happens. If the message occurs again, import the pxf into a NEW project and use the old one as reference to retranslate what you've already translated.

HTH,
cheers,
Jill

ciarrai
German to English
transit support Apr 23, 2008

it looks like you removed the tag protection and deleted a segment tag. Can you run the formatting code check in Satellite? transit should find the segment that's causing the problem. Copy and paste the correct seg. tags and run the check again.

BTW - to remove the tag protection, go to View-Show/Hide Attributes and under Tags check the little box "Disable tag protection". Then copy and past segment tags and be sure to activate the tag protection again.

Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
open a copy of the file in a text editor Apr 24, 2008

Hi
it happened once to me. Maybe I had inadvertently pasted an enter sign (I don't know how), and I was not able to delete it. The agency was not able to help me. I spotted the line where the disalignment started, from Explorer I located the project files, I made a copy of the taget file (for example .deu or .ger if you translate into German) and put it in a safe place to reuse in case I was not able to solve, I opened the target file in a text editor and reached the suspected area and made some changes (deleted some of the square signs I found there).

hope this help

regards
Ilde

Bo Ryden  Identity Verified
French to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Apr 24, 2008

Thank you very much indeed for your support. The problem is solved.

Kind regards,

Bo Ryden

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Source and target segments' number out of sync

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search