Thread poster: Marcos Zattar

Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 02:40
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jun 2, 2008

Hello,

my agency asked me to translate text B and sent me also the translated text A in Transit format (that is, both languages. Some other translator translated text A). Many of the source segments in text A are also in text B (my text), but text A has translation mistakes. After I finish the translation of B, I am supposed to send a MS-Word document containing the bilingual text A with color markings showing the target segments which I changed in text B.

So, the best way to achieve that is to compare both texts. The catch is that the sizes of text A and B are different, also the sequence of the segments is different. Do you happen to know how I can do that?

Does Transit XV have a comparison function? Is there any application that does that?

Thanks for any hints and help!

Kind regards,
Marcos

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:40
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Use old translation as reference material Jun 2, 2008

Hi Marcos,
The best way of doing this is to import the new translation as a project and then include the old translation as reference material. Similar/identical segments will then show up as fuzzy matches. Copy the segments you change into a Word document.

I hope you are getting paid for the extra work associated with the Word document because it is fiddly and time-consuming.

BTW, any CAT tool will do for this but you'd have to export the old translation from Transit as a TMX and then read it into your tool of choice (e.g. as a Trados TM).

Cheers,
Jill

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 03:40
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
'segment attribute filter' may help Jun 2, 2008

You can use text B as reference material to translate text A. Then use segment attribute filter to display the changes and copy them into Word.

In menu bar
View > Segment filter > Segment Attribute filter
Several options here, e.g. Show segments changed, Edited by, Used reference files, etc.

HTH

Selcuk Akyuz

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparing two Transit translations

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search