https://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/12919-star_transit_satellite_fuzzy_index_not_working.html

Star Transit Satellite Fuzzy Index Not Working
Thread poster: Daniel Gerke
Daniel Gerke
Daniel Gerke  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:57
German to English
Jul 27, 2003

I am using Transit Satellite for the first time and the fuzzy index function doesn't seem to be functioning at all.

My project consists of a number of language pairs with repetitions running between them.
However, the fuzzy match feature seems incapable of locating even the most obvious of 100% matches.

After translating the first language pair, I saved it, closed it and opened the second. I would expect at this point that the segments I translated in the first la
... See more
I am using Transit Satellite for the first time and the fuzzy index function doesn't seem to be functioning at all.

My project consists of a number of language pairs with repetitions running between them.
However, the fuzzy match feature seems incapable of locating even the most obvious of 100% matches.

After translating the first language pair, I saved it, closed it and opened the second. I would expect at this point that the segments I translated in the first language pair are available in the translation memory. And yet I get "No match found" even when an identical segment has already been translated in the first language pair!

I have looked through all the settings and the help files and I can't find anything that helps. The help file seems to claim that the fuzzy index is updated every time I hit Alt-Insert, but that plainly isn't the case.

Does anyone know what is wrong here?
Collapse

Daniel Gerke
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Some headway Jul 27, 2003

I have now discovered two things.

1) The program thinks significantly longer when I hit Alt-Enter in a segment that has a 100% match than it does in a segment without a match, but it still comes up with the "No match found" message.

2) The process DOES work, if I have the original language pair in which the match was translated open while translating the other language pair that contains the new identical segment.

This is sort of a solution, but the help fi
... See more
I have now discovered two things.

1) The program thinks significantly longer when I hit Alt-Enter in a segment that has a 100% match than it does in a segment without a match, but it still comes up with the "No match found" message.

2) The process DOES work, if I have the original language pair in which the match was translated open while translating the other language pair that contains the new identical segment.

This is sort of a solution, but the help files explicitly state that the fuzzy index searches "In all language pairs of the project, including in language pairs that are not opened"

My project has a couple dozen language pairs. It could get quite cluttered if I have to leave them all open. So, I would still love to hear from anyone who knows how to make the fuzzy match work even while the other language pairs are closed.
Collapse

Daniel Gerke
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Jul 28, 2003

I guess I figured it out myself finally. Might as well post it here.

There is a separate application window (i.e. distint task bar item) called "Fuzzy Index" that has to be open. I must have closed it after it first appeared, thinking it was just some kind of informational dialog.

I got it back by completely existing the program and restarting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Star Transit Satellite Fuzzy Index Not Working

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »