How to import a TRADOS Database into TRANSIT ?
Thread poster: StefanieVolker

StefanieVolker
Local time: 22:22
Jul 5, 2009

Halo everybody!

I am working in Trados (version 7.5)
I lately bought Transit XV (SP 21)

the user's manual does not help me much it only confuzes me more and more...

i am a prett beginner with TRANSIT
I have been asked by a customer for a job which should be done only in TRANSIT.

Is there any chance to get my Trados database (English - German) exported to Transit and have the files translated in Transit using my database as reference (as is done in Trados)?

any help is welcome!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-05 18:12 GMT]


 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:22
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
TMX Jul 5, 2009

Export from Trados to TMX (the highest version it offers) and then import TMX to Transit (follow Chapter 2.3 in Reference Guide).

HTH

Antonin


 

StefanieVolker
Local time: 22:22
TOPIC STARTER
tmx Jul 5, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Export from Trados to TMX (the highest version it offers) and then import TMX to Transit (follow Chapter 2.3 in Reference Guide).

HTH

Antonin


i did and it worked (thank you) but now i have another problem:
how can i use it as a reference?

i have to translate a project from a company in UK. They want to know how much segments do i have in my database and what the costs are.
I did the following:

1. set up my project EN > GER
2. imported my tmx file ( there is actually two fields : one for the tmx file and another for languae pairs (?) - i left the second one blank.
3. imported my word document via project import
4. clicked on open language pair
5. now there is nothing pretranslated and when i click on the source window to check for concordance the concordance window shows me the english version in the target language window, i.e. i have english > english instead of english > german...

what am i doing wrong? i really do't know ... i spent the last 3 days on transit and it seems the more i learn about it the more i dislike it...


 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:22
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
RTFM Jul 5, 2009

Transit XV User's Guide 4.5.12 (Reference material project setting) - you have to tell Transit what it should use as reference. Actually, it is a neat feature - you can choose the actual reference for each project as you like, and even change this setting during the work on the project.

IMHO, Transit XV is several levels above Trados with respect to usablity and user-friendliness. But we are all diffferent, aren't we?

Antonin


 

StefanieVolker
Local time: 22:22
TOPIC STARTER
tmx Jul 5, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

Transit XV User's Guide 4.5.12 (Reference material project setting) - you have to tell Transit what it should use as reference. Actually, it is a neat feature - you can choose the actual reference for each project as you like, and even change this setting during the work on the project.

IMHO, Transit XV is several levels above Trados with respect to usablity and user-friendliness. But we are all diffferent, aren't we?

Antonin


thanks for advice..

so do i have to set the path for the language pair ?
2. imported my tmx file ( there is actually two fields : one for the tmx file and another for languae pairs (?) - i left the second one blank.

i know that transit uses language pairs as reference and that i must tell transit to choose reference files, still when i specify the reference file (*.ENG) for the project i have english to english database as reference - the same occurs when i specify *.DEU as reference...
Stefanie


 

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 22:22
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
hard to say this way Jul 5, 2009

StefanieVolker wrote:

so do i have to set the path for the language pair ?



Actually I use Transit NXT now and do not remember exactly what the differences are - so I apologize if there is a confusion of this kind. Anyway, you should import the tmx which has a certain setting of source and target languages into a project with the same setting of those languages. This way that the tmx-imported language pair is created propely and automatically. Give it a name which will characterize it sufficienly (such as tmx_import_etc).

After that, and it is rather important, you should mark the status of the imported language pair as translated - File-Open-Language Pair, hit the "Browse" button, find the files and go Options-File Status and hit Translated, SAVE the language pair and close it. (Maybe you were missing just this point? - if you do not do this. nothing will be pretranslated because the dafult setting for a segment allowing it to be used is its "translated" status)

Then you go Projet/Settings/Reference Material and browse for the files again and icnlude them into the references.

Now you should have the tmx in your project with the status you want.

HTH Antonin


 

StefanieVolker
Local time: 22:22
TOPIC STARTER
tmx Jul 5, 2009

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

StefanieVolker wrote:

so do i have to set the path for the language pair ?



Actually I use Transit NXT now and do not remember exactly what the differences are - so I apologize if there is a confusion of this kind. Anyway, you should import the tmx which has a certain setting of source and target languages into a project with the same setting of those languages. This way that the tmx-imported language pair is created propely and automatically. Give it a name which will characterize it sufficienly (such as tmx_import_etc).

After that, and it is rather important, you should mark the status of the imported language pair as translated - File-Open-Language Pair, hit the "Browse" button, find the files and go Options-File Status and hit Translated, SAVE the language pair and close it. (Maybe you were missing just this point? - if you do not do this. nothing will be pretranslated because the dafult setting for a segment allowing it to be used is its "translated" status)

Then you go Projet/Settings/Reference Material and browse for the files again and icnlude them into the references.

Now you should have the tmx in your project with the status you want.

HTH Antonin


thanks for help

i will try that tomorrow - today i ve had enough adventuresicon_wink.gif


 

adedamola
Nigeria
Local time: 21:22
English to Yoruba
+ ...
ANTONIN, THE GREAT HELPER Jul 6, 2009

Antonin, you are such a great helper. I appreciate your patience and the rare comprehensive assistance. I hope to enjoy same from someone like you or you.

Adedamola


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to import a TRADOS Database into TRANSIT ?

Advanced search






memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search