Transit Satellite PE vs. full version: features questions
Thread poster: CaitilinWalsh
CaitilinWalsh  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:51
French to English
+ ...
Jul 31, 2009

Hello all-

I was recently asked by a long-term client to look into working with Transit Satellite PE 3.0 Build 267. They prepared a relatively simple file for me to 'play around' with, and then I tried it on a longer project.

Frankly, I hated it. I found it clunky, and it reduced, not increased my productivity and quality. It reminded me forcibly of my pre-MT/TenT days, slogging through codes and tags and having to highlight and delete each source segment when I was done translating. In a thousand-word document, it provided me with exactly three single-word matches. No WYSIWYG, having to toggle to the source text in its original (thank heavens the TC provided me with the file!) to see what information formatting/placement provides. I much prefer the flow and amount of control that Wordfast gives me, but the client is wanting to know if I will accept more work using this tool.

Clearly the problem is the stripped-down software, which is a boon for huge corporate clients, and relatively convenient for translation companies. I'm weighing upgrading to gain functionality: What I'd like to know from those of you with the paid versions of Transit is you thoughts on the following:

1. Does your version (please tell me which one you have!) allow for reassigning keystrokes? I work on a laptop, which means that the keystroke assigned to 'delete to end of segment' is a four-fingered contortion. I also would like to reassign the 'mark as translated' combination since it causes huge problems when I switch back to WF (the PE keystroke overwrites my freshly translated segment with the source text *before* writing it to the TM! Arggh!)

2. Does your version support the mouse wheel scrolling? PE does not. I didn't realize how much I used it until it didn't work. More than mildly annoying when editing.

3. Does your version provide a way to rearrange untranslatables in a segment (delete/insert them elsewhere)? I had a couple of these instances, and couldn't move the locked codes around. I ended up recasting the sentence in a very awkward way to accommodate the tool. I shouldn't have to deliver inferior quality because of a tool's limitations.

4. Does your version include a spell-checker or a mechanism to purchase/install one? I had *no* spell check at all. I was sorely tempted to export to Word just to use its spell check. If you do have a spell-check, can it be 'trained' to add/ignore spellings? If you had to purchase a spell-check, would you share the pricing?

5. Does your version support importing/accessing existing TMs and glossaries? I have a large corpus of subject material from the end client from before they introduced this tool. I also have my own glossaries that reflect over a decade of experience, plus I use glossaries to avoid typing commonly used phrases. It is a huge hit in productivity to not be able to leverage it. I recognize passages as similar to something I have done, but the answers are trapped in my unusable corpus. (I should also note that I was not picking up any matches at all, even with the fuzzy threshold set at 10%, and going through a list of headings that clearly should have picked up matches.) A couple of times I had to copy the sentence out of transit, paste it into a word doc, and run Wordfast to process it, then copy the result back into Transit.

6. Does your version have a concordance search? Again, I was frustrated that no matches were being picked up, and I couldn't even search what I had just done to save myself having to research it again.

7. Does your version support using multiple glossaries and/or TMs? I would like to be able to access my tools as well as the client's and keep them separate. I t sounds like Transit doesn't keep a separate file for TMs and glossaries, so I doubt it does.

I realize this list is long, but given the pricing that I have heard (why don't they publish prices?), I want to be sure that I have this functionality before I invest the EUR and time in a product that will never be my favorite. I am also investigating tools that will allow me to extract the text and process it in the tool of my choice. (have heard the PlusToyz can be useful). I'm looking forward to the day that exchange standards are widely implemented by vendors!

Any feedback greatly appreciated!

Caitilin

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 14:51
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Looks like a potential buyer's questions Jul 31, 2009

I am not sure about the Star's company representatives in the US, but your set of questions looks like "ready-made" for such people to be happy to address.

I suppose the best starting point is http://www.star-group.net/star-www/description/about_us/star-group/eng/star.html

I don't think you will be able to buy anything but Transit NXT anyway. I have NXT Pro and, in principle, all the features you are talking about are covered (well, you cannot reassign their "basic" keyboard shortcuts, but can add your own).

HTH

Antonin

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit Satellite PE vs. full version: features questions

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search