Are more than three dictionaries possible in Transit?
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
Local time: 14:05
German to English
Mar 6, 2010

After so much trouble with Trados I am returning to my old favourite Transit. In Trados I had accumulated quite a lot of memories and dictionaries, which I have more or less successfully converted to Transit format.
Now I wish to do a job where I need several dictionaries. I have selected three (of the ten I have) but cannot select any more - in the Project settings - Add Dictionary - the "OK" is greyed out when I try to click a fourth dictionary. All of the dictionaries are in the "Termstar-Received" database.
Is there any way of opening more than three dictionaries? Or will I have to merge them? This is not ideal since some of them are customer-specific.
I use Transit XV Smart, SP 26.
Thank you for any help.
Robroy

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Smart limitation? Mar 6, 2010

I cannot be sure, I have just tried in my XV Pro and I can add as many as I like.

You can try:

- adding them all at once (= selecting several of them using the Ctrl key in the window opened after hitting the "Add" button)

- manually editing the [Dictionaries] items in the respective .prj file (well, after backing it up, of course)

HTH

Antonin

Arabictranslate  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:05
German to Arabic
+ ...
Basically there is no limit, only in Transit XV Smart there is a limit Mar 6, 2010

Basically there is no limit, only in Transit XV Smart (a personal limited version) there is a limit not to add more than 3 dictionaries. So, it seems, that you have Transit Smart.

The solution would be to create a new dictionary in TermStar and append all the required dictionaries in it.
For your information here are the other limitations in Transit Smart:

Limitations in TermStar Smart
· only 3 dictionaries can be opened at the same time
· no filter functions
· it is not possible to define/change input verifications
· it is not possible to create/change password protection
· it is not possible to merge dictionaries (data can only be appended)
· dictionaries cannot be printed
· no import/export via DDE
· works only with access database
Hopefully this would help you

Your Arabic Translation Team

[تم التعديل في 2010-03-06 13:18 GMT]

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 6, 2010

Thank you Antonin and the Arabic Translation Team.

@ Antonin: Looks like I may have to consider an upgrade to Transit Pro!

@ Arabic Translation Team: Can you tell me how to append the dictionaries to a new dictionary? I am very rusty with Transit at the moment!

Robroy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
manual edit of prj Mar 6, 2010

Adding manualy the desired dictionaries to the prj file may still be worth trying, even if not admissible via the GUI - for example, entering macros into the profile file in Smart (not allowed from the GUI) is well possible with the aid of this "workaround".

Antonin

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Antonin Mar 6, 2010

Thanks Antonin, I've found the file you were talking about (*.prj) and will try editing it when I have finished this (smaller) project - I don't want to take any risks just now!

Robroy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
no XV upgrades? Mar 6, 2010

robroy wrote:

@ Antonin: Looks like I may have to consider an upgrade to Transit Pro!

Robroy

I may be wrong here, but my impression is that since the release of the NXT version the Star Company are rather unlikely to sell you an XV Pro upgrade.

Antonin

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
No luck with 4th dictionary Mar 6, 2010

Hello Antonin,

Modifying the *.prj file unfortunately had no effect, I did not succeed in opening a fourth dictionary.

Perhaps I shall just have to merge the dictionaries I have and in this way reduce their number to three - for my requirements, the upgrade to the Pro version is too expensive.

Thanks for your tips all the same.

Robroy

Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Impossible to add 4th dictionary to Transit NXT Sep 29, 2014

Hi everybody,

I am working on a project on Transit NXT and it seems like I cannot add more than 3 dictionaries. I cannot merge the dictionaries because this client has dictionaries with different priorities, so I need to know at any time which is which.

Could anyone please help me on this? This is pretty urgent as the project is for the day after tomorrow...

Thanks in advance!

Number of supported dictionaries Sep 29, 2014

Hi Marina,

it depends on the Transit variant you are using: With Freelance Pro, Workstation or Professional, you can use as much dictionaries in parallel as you want.
The only limitation is valid for the "smallest" variant: In Transit Freelance, the max number of dictionaries is 3.

Best regards,

Oiseau noir

Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
I thought as much Sep 29, 2014

Hi Oiseau Noir,

In fact I am using the Freelance version. I wasn't aware that this would have been a problem when I purchased the license. I have found a workaround anyway.

Thanks,

Marina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are more than three dictionaries possible in Transit?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search