How to export a Transit translation (of a Word file) as a TTX file?
Thread poster: robroy

robroy
Local time: 01:04
German to English
Apr 3, 2010

Hello,

My customer has given me a Word file and wants a bilingual (TTX) file back. How can I do this in Transit? My customer wants to build up his own memory in Trados, but I prefer using Transit. I have seen that I can import a TTX file and export it again as TTX, but how do I do this with a "standard" Word file?

Transit XV Smart, SP 26.

Thank you

Rob Roy

Arabictranslate  Identity Verified
Egypt
German to Arabic
+ ...
This is not possible Apr 3, 2010

The option in Transit to import a TTX is suitable, when you receive the TTX from the client.
But in order to convert the Word file into TTX, this requires Trados or may be another TM, that provides this option.

So, you need to ask your client for a prepared TTX, so that you can import it into Transit.

Thanks

[تم التعديل في 2010-04-03 13:24 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Seems to be an empty post.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for quick reply Apr 3, 2010

Hello,

I do in fact have Trados, so now my problem seems to be how to convert a Word file (or any other type of file) into a TTX file!

I'll work on that - or do you have an idea?

Thank you

Rob Roy

Andrei Shmatkov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:04
English to Russian
+ ...
open this file in TagEditor Apr 3, 2010

Just open and save a Word file in TagEditor (part of Trados in versions up to 2007) and you will get a TTX file.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
A little more work is required Apr 3, 2010

Thank you Andrei - so easy! But that is not the whole story - I was unsuccessful in importing the TTX files, because they were not (properly) segmented.

A couple of further steps are necessary, as I have since found out:

- in Workbench select Options -> Translation Memory Options, and make sure the option "Copy source on no match" is checked
- then the file must be pretranslated (Tools -> Translate)
- and here it is important to check the "Segment unknown Sentences" option.

I hope this may help others having similar problems.

Rob Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to export a Transit translation (of a Word file) as a TTX file?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search