Where are Termstar dictionary files?
Thread poster: robroy

robroy
Local time: 01:57
German to English
Apr 17, 2010

Hello,

I have bought a new computer and am busy exporting memories and dictionaries from my old computer.

I have found the description of how to export dictionaries in the Termstar manual.

However, just out of curiosity, I would like to know exactly which files contain my dictionaries (for possible backups etc.). At the moment I have thirteen dictionaries.

Can anyone help me?

Thank you.

Rob Roy

Direct link Reply with quote

Arabictranslate  Identity Verified
Egypt
German to Arabic
+ ...
In the DB folder Apr 17, 2010

Hi Rob,

They are in the DB folder in the transit installation folder, that also includes the Project folder folder.

Best regards

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Everything in one file/two files? Apr 17, 2010

Thank you ATT for your quick response.

In the DB folder I have 2 files, Received.mdb (175 MB) and TermStar.mdb. (2 MB). The Received file is newer and much bigger, so this would seem to be the file containing the dictionaries.

But is it really possible that all 13 dictionaries are in one file? I would have expected each dictionary to have its own file (or files).

However, the export seems to work ok.

Thanks again

Rob Roy

Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Database structure Apr 20, 2010

The Received.mdb contains all the dictionaries you have received from your customers, thus if you have received 13 dictionaries from your customers, yes, they will all be in the Received.mdb. The TermStar.mdb contains a demonstration dictionary.
If you have created databases on you own, well, these databases with the dictionaries they contain will of course to be found where you have created them.
GG.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Geneviève Apr 20, 2010

Thank you Geneviève, when I was installing my dictionaries I accepted the default settings suggested by Transit, so I installed them in the default database (I was not sure at the time about the difference between a database and a dictionary, which only Transit seems to make), so now they are all in Received.mdb, but I can live with that.

As I said, I was just surprised that the dictionaries were not kept in separate files.

Cheers

Rob Roy

Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
take care your dictionaries are not overwritten Apr 21, 2010

Hi Rob,

Transit has 2 databases to prevent one of your dictionaries being overwritten by a customer's during automatic import into Received.mdb, provided that they both have the same name. However, Transit will ask before overwriting.

Cheers,
Jill

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jill Apr 21, 2010

I'll pay attention when importing customers' dictionaries!

Regards

Rob Roy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Where are Termstar dictionary files?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search