Import of Across projects (CWU) into Transit XV
Thread poster: karl81
Apr 24, 2010

Dear colleagues,

Unfortunately I have to do a big project (and probably more) in Across. I think most of you know how stupid and frustrating it is to work in Across. Does anybody know about a way to import Across projects (.CWU data) into Transit? I would like to import, then translate as always in Transit XV, and finally export again into Across format.
I have tried to convince my client that Across is the worst of all options. But it seems he won't change his mind.
I'd appreciate any ideas towards a solution for my problem. If there are programmers who could create a simple conversion tool, give me a message and we might talk about the price.

Meanwhile, I will send an inquiry to STAR, and post their answer eventually.

Thank you for your help!

Karl

Direct link Reply with quote

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 11:47
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Does Transit support TMX files as a translatable format? Apr 24, 2010

In across you can copy all source segments to empty target segments and then save as TMX for translation with other CAT tools. After translation of the TMX file you import it back to cross and pretranslate the file. This method works with Deja Vu X, at least in all the test projects I have created.

So, if Transit supports TMX files as a translatable format, then you can translate Across projects with Transit.

-------------------
Translating Across projects in Transit
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/transit_termstar/message/3283

[Edited at 2010-04-24 11:14 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 10:47
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Interesting Apr 24, 2010

So far I only imported tmx to Transit as reference materials, but I cannot see a reason why it could not be processed (=translated) after the import.

Antonin

Here are two Excel VBA procedures I wrote some time ago which might come handy as well (making an Excel table from tmx, and colouring the tags).

Sub tmx2xls()

Dim fs, a, strs, rets, langs(10)
numlan = 0

strs = InputBox("full path to tmx file")
Set fs = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
Set f = fs.OpenTextFile(strs, 1, -2)
j = 0
Do While f.AtEndOfStream True
rets = f.ReadLine
lab1:
lgd = Len(rets)

If (Left(rets, 1) = " ") Then
lgk = lgd - 1
rets = Right(rets, lgk)
GoTo lab1
End If

If (Left(rets, 4) = "

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 10:47
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
once more Apr 24, 2010

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3759984/tmx2xls.txt

I insert here a klink to a txt file - it did noit get through in the "normal" way.

Antonin

karl81
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so far! Apr 24, 2010

Dear colleagues,

Thank you for your answers.

Well then it seems we have a chance this works.

@Selcuk
- Could you maybe post the message you quote from "http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/transit_termstar/message/3283"?
I have applied to the group, but still pending.
- What do you mean by "save as TMX for translation with other CAT tools "? You mean: mark the copied segments as "translated" and then export them as if they were a TM? Would that be "crossTerm Export" oder "CrossTank Export"? Unfortunately, almost all of my user options are deactivated by the customer, so I have no clue how the program SHOULD look - and no clue of how to do this practically. I would appreciate a more "detailled" explanation very much!

@Antonin
Thank you for the Excel procedures. I am afraid I don't understand how to use them. (shame upon me Could you briefly explain?

Well my first problem now would be to convince the customer to unlock at least the import/export functionalities. And then I have to learn how to set these up as a Transit project and export them later. But that seems to result in far less stress and anger than working in Across.

Btw, I have found out CWU/CRU files are just renamed ZIP files containing (unencrypted) .mdb files. Maybe could we derive an easier way out of that?

Thank you for your hints again!

Karl

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
mdb files Apr 24, 2010

The procedure for translating Across projects with DVX is described here http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/message/100621 You can read it, no need to become a member.

You are right, CWU/CRU files are just renamed ZIP files containing (unencrypted) .mdb files, but its structure is too complicated (at least for me).

karl81
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for the info Apr 24, 2010

Hmm.... so does that mean I can only translate with other CAT tools if the project runs in the subprogram "Standalone Personal Edition", while the same is impossible under "Standby Remote Client"? Let's hope not!!

[Bearbeitet am 2010-04-24 13:01 GMT]

Turkey
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
AHK Apr 24, 2010

AutoHotkey or similar programs may help. In that case you can use Wordfast or Trados (in the Word environment). Samuel Murray's Transithack http://leuce.com/tempfile/omtautoit/ is a solution for translating Transit files with Wordfast.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Import of Across projects (CWU) into Transit XV

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search