https://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/169678-problems_cleaning_up_trados_ttx_files.html

Problems cleaning up Trados TTX files
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
robroy
Local time: 17:39
German to English
May 4, 2010

Hello,

My client is a large agency with whom I have been working for years.

After some massive problems with Trados (could not convert TTX/xliff files back into Word format) I switched back to my old love Transit, since then no problems.

My client wants bilingual Trados files (ttx, bak or xliff) so that he can build up his own TM. So far I have converted my e.g. Word files into TTX, imported them into Transit, translated them, exported them again to TTX and
... See more
Hello,

My client is a large agency with whom I have been working for years.

After some massive problems with Trados (could not convert TTX/xliff files back into Word format) I switched back to my old love Transit, since then no problems.

My client wants bilingual Trados files (ttx, bak or xliff) so that he can build up his own TM. So far I have converted my e.g. Word files into TTX, imported them into Transit, translated them, exported them again to TTX and sent them off to the client.

Three times now, however, he has called me asking for a cleaned-up file and the memory, as he couldn't clean up the files I sent him. (The client is experienced in Trados). I had no problem cleaning up the files in Trados.

The upshot is that my client wants me to use Trados again, which I'm not too happy about, for the above-mentioned reasons.

I have two questions:
- Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any ideas?
- How do I export my memories into tmx format?

Transit XV Smart SP 26.

Thank you.

Rob Roy
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Confirm problem with Trados / Read the manual May 4, 2010

robroy wrote:

I have two questions:
- Has anyone experienced similar problems? Any ideas?

I have, but know no solution. I seem to me to be more a Trados problem, since the files could be converted back with no problem on some computers, but on other computers not. The problem was always linked with files with complicated coding. For "normal" files (e.g. Word with no add-on) I never had a problem.

- How do I export my memories into tmx format?

That should be found in the manual of the help, don't you think?

Geneviève

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I also suspect it's a Trados problem May 4, 2010

Question 1

As I said, it was a ttx file, derived from a straight Word file, and I had no problem cleaning it. I'm not sure if it could be a computer-specific thing, however.

Question 2

You may not believe this, but I had actually thought of that myself. However, if you go to Help - Transit - Index and enter "tmx", you will not find any help. Same applies if you enter under "Search" (Suchen). Entering "Export" does not help either, since no mention is made o
... See more
Question 1

As I said, it was a ttx file, derived from a straight Word file, and I had no problem cleaning it. I'm not sure if it could be a computer-specific thing, however.

Question 2

You may not believe this, but I had actually thought of that myself. However, if you go to Help - Transit - Index and enter "tmx", you will not find any help. Same applies if you enter under "Search" (Suchen). Entering "Export" does not help either, since no mention is made of tmx files. Or perhaps I have entered the wrong search strings.

Btw, all my CDs are still in cardboard boxes following a removal.

Rob Roy
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Doc available online - ApSIC Xbench May 5, 2010

robroy wrote:

You may not believe this, but I had actually thought of that myself. However, if you go to Help - Transit - Index and enter "tmx", you will not find any help. Same applies if you enter under "Search" (Suchen). Entering "Export" does not help either, since no mention is made of tmx files. Or perhaps I have entered the wrong search strings.

Btw, all my CDs are still in cardboard boxes following a removal.

Rob Roy

A short look at the contents of the different menus can help too.... You can find the command "Export TMX" in the Project menu.

All the documentation for Transit/Termstar can be downloaded here:
http://www.star-group.net/ENU/transit-termstar-xv-dl/transitxv-termstarxv-techn.html

The procedure of TMX exchange is explained in the Reference guide.

If you have a Transit version that does not offer tmx exhange, the tool ApSIC XBench (http://www.apsic.com/en/products_xbench.html) can convert the major TM format into tmx.

Regards,
Geneviève

robroy
robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Geneviève May 5, 2010

Now that's the information I needed! I had found the Export TMX menu item but had got lost in the various windows that subsequently opened. Now I think I have sussed it.

Rob Roy

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Problems cleaning up Trados TTX files - revisited Dec 14, 2010

Hi Robroy,

I'm having the same Problems cleaning up Trados TTX files.

Did you find a solution?

When I create a TTX in TagEditor, I can import, translate and export it in Transit XV.

When I verify the exported TTX in TagEditor, however, an 'Unknown tag error' is reported and in Workbench I cannot clean the TTX.

Hans

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Could anyone of you evaluate more on "massive problems" and could not convert? Dec 14, 2010

Tag error is tag error - if TagEditor reports that then there is an error in the file, AFAIK.
I do not have experience in using Transit to traslate TTX files, because I would never do that, as I usually go the other way round and try to translate Transit in Trados.
However, knowing the probs you report in Trados I could try to dertermine what's wrong there.
For the "Unknown tag error" - did you verify all tags in Transit?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Verifying tags in Transit XV Dec 15, 2010

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Tag error is tag error - if TagEditor reports that then there is an error in the file, AFAIK.
I do not have experience in using Transit to traslate TTX files, because I would never do that, as I usually go the other way round and try to translate Transit in Trados.
However, knowing the probs you report in Trados I could try to dertermine what's wrong there.

Yes I did

HL

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Swordfish? Dec 15, 2010

Hi Everyone,

This morning I received this reply from SDL Support, regarding my yesterday's question about setting up SDL Studio 2009 in Parallels 5:

Begin forwarded message:

Hi,

thanks for the email.

Please refer to the following:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2830&p=1 noting that
... See more
Hi Everyone,

This morning I received this reply from SDL Support, regarding my yesterday's question about setting up SDL Studio 2009 in Parallels 5:

Begin forwarded message:

Hi,

thanks for the email.

Please refer to the following:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2830&p=1 noting that we do not support Mac OS but the detail in the article should help you.

I hope this helps.

regards,
Mick

Email Attachment :

Please note that this still doesn't solve my second problem.

In the meantime I'm happy to inform you that I succeeded to pseudo translate a TTX file in Swordfish II. When verifying the exported TTX, TagEditor didn't find any errors.

Depending on STAR's answer to my complaint about the TradosTTX.FFD (the file filter), I'll probably use Swordfish as my TTX tool. That is, I'll have to evaluate Wf Pro for this first.

Have a nice day!

Hans
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some filter errors probably, then... Dec 15, 2010

Hans Lenting wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Yes I did

HL

So if Transit says all tags are in place there should be no errors in TTX.
TTX is nothing else as XML, so most probably the problem is in the filter.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems cleaning up Trados TTX files

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »