https://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/177340-transit_xv_pre_translation_possible_with_pxf_file.html

Transit XV: Pre-translation possible with pxf-file?
Thread poster: huutsch
huutsch
huutsch
Local time: 13:13
German to English
+ ...
Aug 8, 2010

Hi all,

my customer sends me pxf-files to translate.

The pre-translation has already been done with the reference material my customer has.

Is it possible for me to use my own reference material for another pre-translation?

How do I go about it?

Regards,

Michael

Frits Ens
Frits Ens
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Dutch
+ ...
yes you can! Aug 11, 2010

If you have language pairs in the same combination as the pxf contains that you just received, you can use those files.

Simply open (receive) the pxf.
Then in the settings tab, indicate which files you want to use as references files.

Start translating and you will see that Transit uses the previous translation as a reference.

good luck!

Geneviève Granger
Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
Careful Aug 11, 2010

A new pretranslation will overwrite the pretranslation done by the customer. I may be reasonable to use your reference material simply as supplementary reference material during translating.

Geneviève

huutsch
huutsch
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do not want that... Aug 11, 2010

Thank you very much!

My issue is, that I have 99% matches in my own reference material. There are so many, I would like to do a pretranslation, then filter them out, and mark them as "Translated" instead of confirming them one by one.

You people have already helped me a lot with the filtering thing, that works quite nicely with the pxf-files the customer sends me.

Now I'd like to do the same with my own material...

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
take also the pretranslated file of the customer as reference material Aug 12, 2010

Hello Michael,

I was missing some context indeed.

As you may know, Transit actually offers you the possibility to lower the quality of the reference material for what should considered as a full match and that you can perform a new pretranslation on received files, provided you work with a transit version that allows importing, and indicating in the import dialog box that you want to overwrite the target file(s) only (= no new import of the original file(s)). I have ne
... See more
Hello Michael,

I was missing some context indeed.

As you may know, Transit actually offers you the possibility to lower the quality of the reference material for what should considered as a full match and that you can perform a new pretranslation on received files, provided you work with a transit version that allows importing, and indicating in the import dialog box that you want to overwrite the target file(s) only (= no new import of the original file(s)). I have never tried this and I am not sure if Transit will set in this case a special mark (! is normally shown in the segment limit for "critical" pretranslations) with pretranlated segment out of matches less than 100%. I think, in any case, that you will be able to filter these out with the combined segment filter options pretranslation + fuzzy match < 100% if e.g. you want to pay a special attention at these segments during proofreading.

I do not know how your reference material is configured - if it is the same as the one taken by the customer. If it is not, a possibility to take also advantage of the customer's reference material is to place a copy of the language pairs contained in the pxf in a directory that you will use as a supplementary reference material to your own, taking care that you indicate the minimum status "translated" as a minimum status for pretranslation to avoid the untranslated segments in the files delivered by the customer being inserted as translated in your target files.

I think this should work and that you can give a try.

I hope this help.
Geneviève
Collapse

huutsch
huutsch
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I am not sure I am understood Aug 24, 2010

Dear Geneviève,

thank you so much for your elaborate answer!

I still do not know how it would work out.

Perhaps more context will help:

I translated a tool catalog in 2008. My client is a print shop which functions as an interface between the actual catalog company and the translators (they take care of many other languages for the catalog, as well).
They prepare the data they receive from the catalog company for the translators, i.e. t
... See more
Dear Geneviève,

thank you so much for your elaborate answer!

I still do not know how it would work out.

Perhaps more context will help:

I translated a tool catalog in 2008. My client is a print shop which functions as an interface between the actual catalog company and the translators (they take care of many other languages for the catalog, as well).
They prepare the data they receive from the catalog company for the translators, i.e. they create the pxf-files for the translators and perform a pretranslation.

Then they send me the pxf-file for the 2010 catalog, having done a pretranslation with their 2008 material (which _should_ be the same as mine).

I then add my reference material (RM) of 2008 to the project and, for whatever reasons, I get matches from _my_ RM, which I shouldn't since the pretranslation of my customer should have taken care of that, or am I wrong?

So I would like to leave the pretranslation of my customer as it is _plus_ make use of my RM as in "doing an additional pretranslation with my 2008 RM with all 99%-matches accepted automatically".

Is that possible at all?

Regards, Michael
Collapse

Geneviève Granger
Germany
Member (2006)
German to French
+ ...
A pretranslation will overwrite your target file Aug 26, 2010

I then add my reference material (RM) of 2008 to the project and, for whatever reasons, I get matches from _my_ RM, which I shouldn't since the pretranslation of my customer should have taken care of that, or am I wrong?

Theoretically yes, if your customer does not perform any changes on your translation after you delivered it (e.g. for quality control purposes) AND if your customer does not have any supplementary reference material that you don't have (e.g. from alignment or other translators).

So I would like to leave the pretranslation of my customer as it is _plus_ make use of my RM as in "doing an additional pretranslation with my 2008 RM with all 99%-matches accepted automatically".

Is that possible at all?

Not in this form: a pretranslation will always overwrite the complete file, thus it is not possible to keep the segments that were pretranslated by the customer plus adding your own translation to it.

If you are absolutely sure that the customer's refmat and yours are exactly the same, you could simply perform a pretranslation on your new job with your own settings taking your own refmat.

If you are not sure that the customer's refmat and yours are exactly the same, take the customer's language pairs delivered by your customer for the job as priority refmat and your former translation as secondary refmat, and perform a new pre translation taking care of setting a minimum status of "translated" for the segment that should be taken into account for the pretranslation.

I could figure out another solution, but this is a bit more complicated: Make an extract of the new language pairs delivered by the customer - you can use the "Generate reference extract" function for this, even if this function is actually meant for a different purpose. Save the extract in another folder. Insert the extract in a new project and perform a pretranslation of the extract with your own refmat and the segment quality you wish. At this point, I am not sure how Transit behaves with the matches < 100, thus you will have to open the file and check if those segments have the "translated" status in the extract file, if not, use the segment filter and confirm the partial matches as "translated". Add this extract as a reference material to your customer's new project - transit will then take the pretranslated segments in the extract as 100% matches during translating. The advantage of this method is that you will be able to differentiate more easily what comes from the pretranslation of your customer and what have been overtaken from your own refmat, thus maybe what you should look more closely at during proofreading.

Have fun experimenting further.
Geneviève

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit XV: Pre-translation possible with pxf-file?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »