TMX Export of Reference Material with Transit XV
Thread poster: Lutz Plueckhahn

Lutz Plueckhahn  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
Member (2003)
English to German
Sep 21, 2010

Dear experts,

I have searched through this forum and other forums - alas, I didn'd find a working solution.

Here's the outset:

I have loads of language pairs I normally use in Transit as reference material for a particular customer. Now, I need this entire material to be used in SDL Trados as TM.

I haven't found any Transit function which exports a project's reference material into a TMX file - it's only possible to export the project files. I think!

I have tried XBench, but it seems to have problems with particular file types (e.g. idx files) in the folders containing the language pairs. This means, it will not import any of the files.

Someone explained a workaround by creating a dummy Transit project containing all reference material as language pairs. This, however, doesn't work, if you don't have the (e.g. Word) source files.

Is there really no way to export the ref material to TMX? I almost cannot believe it!

Please help!

Best regards,
Lutz

Direct link Reply with quote

Geneviève Granger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
2 steps Sep 29, 2010

Hello Lutz,

Create a reference extract with Transit, saving your extract in a separate directory.
To do this, separate your projects in case you have different source languages, unless you will have problems and the extraction will not be satisfactory - thus put different language pairs in different directories.

Then load the extract files in Xbench and export as TMX.

I hop this helps.
Geneviève.

Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
At least some success! Sep 29, 2010

Thanks, Geneviève!

I did this already. And had the problems regarding the different languages you mention - yet not because the project had several languages, but because some folders contained files with extensions Transit interprets as language IDs (e.g. Framemaker *.frm files for "French Monaco"). What kind of programmers are at work there? I mean, OK, they use the file extensions, but why does the export fail when I select another language?

Anyhow, I managed to create a Ref Extract. However, Xbench had its problems, so I ended up with a TMX containing just a part of the original ref. material.

Cheers,
Lutz

Germany
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
Workaround Sep 29, 2010

Lutz Plueckhahn wrote:

I mean, OK, they use the file extensions, but why does the export fail when I select another language?

I had also problems during my test when Transit detected different languages pairs that did not match to 1:1 in a global directory - it created empty files. Thus, if Transit detects a "French Monaco" file while is actually a FrameMaker file, it will create junk extracts. Unfortunately, the function does not allow to select one language pair out of several languages present in the source folder.
You should try to isolate your language pairs - e.g. copy the folder and eliminate the disturbing files or pack the files of interest in a zip file using the relevant options and unpack these "filtered" files into a new directory, or any more elegant solution.

Geneviève

Member (2003)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks - and Xbench Sep 29, 2010

Dear Geneviève,

Yes, that's what I did. (Probably, there's a Transit ini file, where you could erase all language codes you never use, but then again this may lead to further problems.)

Regarding Xbench, I first tried to read entire Transit directory trees recursing the subdirs. Yet, most of the time, Xbench didn't find anything at all. Then - no idea what happened - it found some of the ref material but never all of it.

Any experiences with that?

Thanks again!
Lutz

Germany
Member (2006)
English to French
+ ...
MS codes / Probable bug in Xbench Sep 30, 2010

Lutz Plueckhahn wrote:

(Probably, there's a Transit ini file, where you could erase all language codes you never use, but then again this may lead to further problems.)

These suffixes base on the Microsoft language coding, thus I don't think you can do any such setting in Transit.

Lutz Plueckhahn wrote:Regarding Xbench, I first tried to read entire Transit directory trees recursing the subdirs. Yet, most of the time, Xbench didn't find anything at all. Then - no idea what happened - it found some of the ref material but never all of it.

Any experiences with that?

I also have problems with the current version reading subdirectories. I suppose this is a bug.

Geneviève

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 13:52
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Create a PXF contains reference language pairs. Jan 3, 2011

In fact, I was looking for the way to export the TMX file for references pairs and found this lead.

I finally found a way to export the TMX file.

the idea is creating a PXF file that contains all the reference pairs.
I think you already know that PXF files are also winzip files.

Steps:

1. Open the PXF file using Winzip, then delete all the original language pairs in it.
2. Put the reference pairs into the PXF file using winzip.
3. Rewrite the .PRJ file in the PXF. Replace the original .PRJ file with the new one.
Find the sentences in the .PRJ file like this one :
File1=1|1|1|0|2|H:\EC_Intern\__Import\Bu_03\AH.fm.mif|AH_.fm|AH_4.fm|0
File2=1|1|1|0|2|H:\EC_Intern\__Import\Bu_03\AH2.fm.mif|AH2_.fm|AH2_4.fm|0
Rewrite these sentences , replace the file names with the names of reference pairs.
Since I have too many reference language pairs, I was forced to write a Macro in the MS WORD to rewrite the . PRJ file.

4.Import the new PXF file into Transit XV( not Transit Satellite PE).
Be careful, do not overwrite your original translations.
There is a bug in my method, after importing , please check the imported language pair, sometimes you fill find that the original Language were not imported , you can only find the target language files. In this case , you have to copy all these files manually. Please check if you can open language pairs in this project, if not, please copy these files manually.

5. Save the project into another name , then export the TMX. (I do not know if it is the bug on my computer. If I don't save the project into another name, the "Export" option is always grey.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMX Export of Reference Material with Transit XV

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search