Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Nov 12, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that SP3 would make the transition from XV to NXT possible. I'm disappointed once more in the latest service pack of Transit NXT.

I'm aware that I'm driving Transit to the edge by using a background dictionary with 400,000+ records. Nevertheless I want to have the terminology in this background dictionary recognized and used for pretranslation (insert all recognized terms to segment/project).

The problems are the following:
<
... See more
Hi Everyone,

I was hoping that SP3 would make the transition from XV to NXT possible. I'm disappointed once more in the latest service pack of Transit NXT.

I'm aware that I'm driving Transit to the edge by using a background dictionary with 400,000+ records. Nevertheless I want to have the terminology in this background dictionary recognized and used for pretranslation (insert all recognized terms to segment/project).

The problems are the following:

1. (Small) German words containing a "ß" or "ss" (dass/daß) will not be recognized, if the dictionary contains both or the opposite form and 'case sensitive term recognition' is enabled.

This bug has been reported to STAR long ago. Feedback: We do not know when/if this bug will be corrected.

2. Recognition of the terms in the first segment of a newly created project is very, very slow.

3. The very useful option Term search | Highlight | If target language does not exist, doesnt work for me. I just discovered that it didn't work in SP2 either.

I've made a screen photo to compare the term search settings in SP2 and SP3:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509643/Voor%20Proz/differences%20term%20search.png

BTW: I've asked STAR several times to be economic with screen space. E.g. the Replace all button in the Search and Replace dialog should be moved:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/509643/Voor%20Proz/search%20and%20replace.png

I was hoping they would have changed this to in SP3 ...

Perhaps a STAR representative can respond to this posting?

Hans
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
No news from Support Nov 18, 2010

Hi Everyone,

I still didn't receive any response from STAR on this topic ...

Do they still exist?

Hans

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Confirmation from Support Dec 6, 2010

Hi Everyone,

Finally I got confirmation from Support in Böblingen (Germany). They are aware of the shortcomings and will investigate the bugs.

Hopefully a solution is found soon: I've been waiting about 1 year for SP3. My Transit NXT license is waiting on a shelf since I cannot make the transition from XV to NXT before term recognition is working as supposed ...

All other users are happy with NXT?

Hans

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 13:23
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
not too unhappy Dec 6, 2010

Hans Lenting wrote:

All other users are happy with NXT?

Well, "happy" is an ambitious word, isn't it? There have been quite a few [bugs/wrong features] I consider important and have discussed with the Czech support team; some of them got resolved by the Swiss team, some not.

I do feel an unpleasant move in the NXT "philosophy" from XV (which was more in line with my requirements on ergonomic software) - all the same, I stay with Transit NXT as my main tool, since there are some improvements in it.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Term search doesn't work correctly in NXT SP3

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »