Transit and Trados TMs
Thread poster: robroy
robroy
Local time: 15:36
German to English
Nov 19, 2010

I'm still somewhat confused with the way Transit handles TMs. I have some very big Trados memories, and converted them so that I could use them in Transit. The result (for my "Technik" TM) was 13 files with DEU extension, and 3 files for my "Wirtschaft" TM.

Now when I work in Trados the TM grows by the number of newly translated segments, meaning that after a couple of years my "Technik" TM, for example, is really big and is a real goldmine of information which I never want to be without.

I suspect, however, that my 13 files in Transit are not growing, though I have been using Transit intensively for a year now. When I get a new job from a customer, I create a folder for the customer, a subfolder for that particular job, and put my Transit project in this subfolder, so that I can find it by customer and by date. I define (for example) my 13 Technik files (which are stored in my "Transit" -> "Memories" folder) as reference material. Now if I have to export a TMX from a project, I find that the TMX only contains the segments from that project, but not from my 13 "Technik" files, which I have defined as reference material.

How can I make sure that the new segments I have created are used as reference material for my next job? Do I really have to add the individual files from each job I've done? On the one hand I would like the segments of all of my technical translations to land in my "Technik" TM, but on the other hand I want the exported project files (for example the English translated files) to land in the folder of my customer (or, to be more precise, in the subfolder of that job).

I have probably succeeded in confusing everybody now, but maybe I should rearrange my file/folder structure ... does anyone have a tip for me?

Thanks

Rob Roy

PS Transit XV Smart, SP 26

Direct link Reply with quote

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 22:36
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You need to add more files as references each time. Jan 3, 2011

Hi,

Since the Transit do not have a TM, instead, it use the past language pairs. You need to assign all the past projects as references when starting a new project if you want to use the past project as references. Only 13 files are not enough.Not like Trados, Trados's Memory will increase automatically. In transit, you have to assign the references( equal to Trados's Memory) yourself.

robroy
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your info ... Jan 5, 2011

... that is what I feared. This is a real downer with Transit, which otherwise works so well and so reliably. But now I fear I will have to look for some other solution (other than Trados Studio), because I do not want to lose all of my past work, and (a) naming every single project I have done in the past year as reference material is just too much of a hassle, and (b) exporting memories using xbench is also not very user-friendly.

Has anyone got any experience with MemoQ in terms of freedom from crashes/bugs/error messages?

Thanks

Rob Roy

Jing Nie
China
Local time: 22:36
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Using the projects folder as the reference. Jan 6, 2011

I have a solution for you.

I assume that all your past project are stored in
C:\Program Files\Transit XV\Projects

You can assign this folder as references. The transit will search for subdirectory automatically. So you problem will be solved.

robroy wrote:

... that is what I feared. This is a real downer with Transit, which otherwise works so well and so reliably. But now I fear I will have to look for some other solution (other than Trados Studio), because I do not want to lose all of my past work, and (a) naming every single project I have done in the past year as reference material is just too much of a hassle, and (b) exporting memories using xbench is also not very user-friendly.

Has anyone got any experience with MemoQ in terms of freedom from crashes/bugs/error messages?

Thanks

Rob Roy

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
bug or feature? Jan 6, 2011

Well, I have always considered the Transit way of treating the "TM" (or rather reference materials in Transit) as an advantage since it is more flexible than the TM notion used by most CAT tools.

If you always want to use all the previous translations of yours as reference, the easiest way will be to create each new project as based on the last previous one, since then - unless you deliberatly change the default behaviour - both that last project and all its references will be used as references for the new project automatically. (If you have too many projects in such a chain, making a translation extract and starting a new chain might be wise, though - otherwise it may take time to search through the references).

And my experience with MemoQ, even if not too extensive, is very good, by the way. It's never crashed on me.

Antonin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transit and Trados TMs

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search