New to Transit, can't use my old works done by Trados
Thread poster: asdxyz
Feb 19, 2011

Hello. I recently switched from Trados to Transit and I think Transit is a better software for a number of reasons which I'm not going to discuss here.
I had to complete my first 2-3 Transit projects rather quickly, so I didn't use my old TMs and stuff. Now that I had a couple of days off I tried several ways to transport my projects/TMs from Trados to Transit, but no luck. Or almost. I managed to move a couple of small projects, two letters, and being them letters there was no formatting and so on. (To be used as reference in future projects). Then I tried other projects, but it didn't work out: it either didn't align the text correctly with no chances of having it working like it should (for instance here I find the Trados' aligner better and easier, but that's probably the only thing) or after I managed to align, I'm not sure about what it's needed to be done.
I tried some work around like the different TMX-related procedures, but for one reason or another, they didn't work.
For example: http://www.proz.com/forum/cat_tools_technical_help/99470-how_import_a_tm_from_trados_to_transit.html#807896 it didn't work.
So, what's the best way to use a Trados project as a reference for future use?
Thanks in advance

[Modificato alle 2011-02-19 12:30 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:55
German to Lithuanian
Version? Feb 19, 2011

If you have a *Professional* version (in Transit XV), you can:
Project > TMX Import... [select the tmx file]
Project > Settings... > Reference Material > Add Files > [select the file you just imported]
You can add as many files as you want.
I wouldn't suggest to add your big-mama-TM every time. It's no use and slow downs the process. Your big-mama-TM you can have opened in the Trados Workbench.

BTW, I am still using Transit XV. But the principle remains the same also in the newest version Transit NXT.

Hope, something helps.

Transit seems difficult at first glance, but this is a very powerful and stable system.
Good choice! Enjoy!

Hans Lenting  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
+ ...
Procedure for handling Trados projects? Feb 20, 2011

Welcome here, new user!

How can we call you? I'd rather not call you asdxyz ...

Now that I had a couple of days off I tried several ways to transport my projects/TMs from Trados to Transit, but no luck. Or almost. I managed to move a couple of small projects, two letters, and being them letters there was no formatting and so on. (To be used as reference in future projects). Then I tried other projects, but it didn't work out: it either didn't align the text correctly

Do I understand you correctly that you are trying to make the transition from Trados to Transit via aligning? If so, you should perform an exchange via TMX, as described by Jill.

Please do not hesitate to ask further questions!

Hans

asdxyz
TOPIC STARTER
No luck? Feb 20, 2011

Egidijus Slepetys wrote:

If you have a *Professional* version (in Transit XV), you can:
Project > TMX Import... [select the tmx file]
Project > Settings... > Reference Material > Add Files > [select the file you just imported]
You can add as many files as you want.
I wouldn't suggest to add your big-mama-TM every time. It's no use and slow downs the process. Your big-mama-TM you can have opened in the Trados Workbench.

BTW, I am still using Transit XV. But the principle remains the same also in the newest version Transit NXT.

Hope, something helps.

Transit seems difficult at first glance, but this is a very powerful and stable system.
Good choice! Enjoy!

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have XV Professional too.
I fear the process you described didn't work for me, maybe I did something wrong.
I set up one of my old projects whose translation is all included in my "big-mama" tmx memory. So as you said I added my tmx as reference, but then nothing get autotranslated nor I get any fuzzy match.
Unfortunately the only way it seems to work is to retranslate or copy/past segments one by one from the source version of the trados projects. It works 100%, but it's too much of a work as I did many projects with my version of trados, some of them rather big. My TM became big and useful, this is why I dont want to lose it.

German to Lithuanian
it should work Feb 20, 2011

Yes, you did something wrong. Don't worry, I also didn't manage it at first.

Did you really imported the tmx?

That means, Transit generates a file of his format and puts it into the project folder (e.g. program files\transit\project\your current project), which has the same name, as the tmx file, but the file extension is the one of your target language, the same as of your project files (e.g. for german it would be: my_imported_tmx_file.DEU).
Only then you can use it as reference material.

So, you should make sure, the tmx file is imported. You can't just copy it into the project folder!

While importing, you will see the progress bar (it takes very little) and then you will have to hit OK.
Then you can add it to your project as reference material, as I described.

Good luck, you will do it!

asdxyz
TOPIC STARTER
Some progresses Feb 20, 2011

Thank you very much for your patience.

Ok I followed your suggestions and I got some results. At first it did nothing, then I tried the find fuzzy correspondences command, and now I have the indicated fuzzies as it's supposed to be.

Now, how can I "import" them into the text, so that it gets me the translation and not only the suggested fuzzy in the low right corner?

German to Lithuanian
Alt+ENTER Feb 21, 2011

Nice!

Press Alt+ENTER.

BTW., you can download Technical Documentation for Transit XV at: http://www.star-group.net/ENU/transit-termstar-xv-dl/transitxv-termstarxv-techn.html

The documentation is very detailed and not very user-friendly, rather for professionals.
Still, you can find shortcut commands easily in the "userguide".

Transit is worth learning, believe me!

asdxyz
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Feb 23, 2011

It worked!! Thanks!
It will be quite a job to import everything, but now it's doable.
Thanks again

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New to Transit, can't use my old works done by Trados

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search