Julia B.
Julia B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
Member (2015)
French to English
May 3, 2012

Hello,

I'm hoping someone might help me with a problem I'm having.

I have to use aligned reference material (I have the alignment project performed in Transit NXT) for which the alignment project direction was English to French. However, I need to use the material to pretranslate a project from French to English.

Is there any way I an use the aligned material in reverse? When i tried, I simply got the source language segments in the target language sectio
... See more
Hello,

I'm hoping someone might help me with a problem I'm having.

I have to use aligned reference material (I have the alignment project performed in Transit NXT) for which the alignment project direction was English to French. However, I need to use the material to pretranslate a project from French to English.

Is there any way I an use the aligned material in reverse? When i tried, I simply got the source language segments in the target language section.

Perhaps I have not attached the correct files (I attached the whole alignment project, rather than files from within it... if I need to select certain files, I don't know which to use!), or perhaps there is a language setting I have missed somewhere. I set the language correctly for my project, but may have missed something extra I need to do to work in the opposite direction to that specified in the alignment project.

Or perhaps (I dread to think) it isn't possible at all?

I didn't find the manual or alignment manual much help on this issue: the instructions for actually attaching an aligned project as reference material are very brief and no detailed step-by-step is given!

Thanks,

Julia
Collapse

starspain
starspain
Spain
Local time: 14:09
Member (2003)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Reverse language in Transit May 4, 2012

When you reverse languages of a language pair, you always have to make sure that your new target language files are marked as "translated" to be able to use them as reference material.

Regards, Michael

wotswot
wotswot  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 14:09
Member (2011)
French to English
Reverse language May 4, 2012

You could also export as a TMX then import the TMX as a language pair. This is the point at which you can specify:
the 2 (or more) languages
the source language

Regards

Richard

Julia B.
Julia B.  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2015)
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution provided by Transit May 4, 2012

Just a follow-up in Transit's favour here.

I emailed them for a solution and got a really quick response, which I will share in case anyone is interested:

Thanks for your message. Yes, it is possible to use material going in the opposite direction.

Obviously, Transit is designed to default to only reading the reference in the direction it was created - i.e. if you aligned it as source German, target English, this will be the automatic default direction if y
... See more
Just a follow-up in Transit's favour here.

I emailed them for a solution and got a really quick response, which I will share in case anyone is interested:

Thanks for your message. Yes, it is possible to use material going in the opposite direction.

Obviously, Transit is designed to default to only reading the reference in the direction it was created - i.e. if you aligned it as source German, target English, this will be the automatic default direction if you attach it to a project. (It can tell which is which by the timestamp of the file. The assumption is that the later time stamp must be the target language, as it was amended last.) But it is possible to tell Transit to ignore this.

For both importing a project and for just adding this reference material to a PPF you have been sent, it is simply a matter of selecting the aligned project in your Project Settings (Reference material tab, then either "Add projects...", "Add folder..." or "Add files...", whichever you prefer). Depending on which process you are doing, the next step will be slightly different, but will have the same effect:

If importing:
In the Project Settings > Pretranslation tab, the "Min. segment status" option is probably set by default to "Translated". Untick the checkbox.
Then import as usual, and it will now read the material during pretranslation.

If adding as ref:
In the Matches ribbon, change the "Min. status" to "Ignore".
You will then see matches in the Fuzzy window.

In each case, Transit will now disregard the timestamping, and just read whatever reference material you have attached.

A note of caution: since you have now disabled Transit's 'safety net' (i.e. to only pretranslate/display fuzzy matches from material which has been user-confirmed as Translated in that particular language direction), it could also bring up untranslated segments, if you have any in the attached reference material.
For example, if you imported a project of 1000 words, and later were told by the client to only translate half, and therefore half remains completely untranslated, this would also be seen as a "100% match" if any sentences exactly match the new project you're working on. Therefore, please do use it with care.
As soon as you have finished using this aligned file, I would strongly recommend returning to the default setting of "Translated".
Collapse

msoutopico
msoutopico  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Galician
+ ...
Using reference material from an inverse language combination May 14, 2012

There's an entry in Transit NXT's blog that talks about using reference material from an inverse language combination: http://bit.ly/MceMyn. I hope it helps or adds valuable info.

Cheers, Manuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Using aligned rference material in reverse language direction

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »