Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Jul 2, 2012

Hi,

I've ticked 'Segmentation mode: By sentence' and removed the check mark from 'Do not segment after line break'. Nevertheless, Transit NXT doesn't segment the bulleted instructions after each line break (on every new line).

How come?

Thanks,

Hans

Works fine... Jul 2, 2012

Hi Hans,

I just created an Excel table with inner-cell line breaks. With settings according to your post, the segmentation was exactly as expected.

BTW: Did I understand it correctly that you have Excel tables with bulleted instructions?

Regards,

Oiseau noir

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
ANSI 10 Jul 3, 2012

Oiseau noir wrote:

Hi Hans,

I just created an Excel table with inner-cell line breaks. With settings according to your post, the segmentation was exactly as expected.

BTW: Did I understand it correctly that you have Excel tables with bulleted instructions?

Regards,

Oiseau noir

Thanks for the check and the response! After reading your answer, I created a small Excel file with two sentences, separated by a NewLine. Segmentation worked like you described.

So I examined the project file I received from my client more closely. It turned out that the sentences are separated by an ANSI 10 value. This here: http://www.asciitable.com/ tells me that this value indeed stands for a New Line.

Do you have any idea about how this Excel file has been created? Perhaps on a Mac? Perhaps by inserting instructions created with another editor into the Excel cells?

Anyway, is there a way to have the sentences separated on every ANSI 10?

Thanks,

Hans

10 or not 10 Jul 3, 2012

Hi Hans,

my Excel tells me that "my" line break is also #10* (and works fine in Transit). Therefore I wonder what goes wrong during your import... And what the line break in your customer's document really is...
To check the line break char code:
1) In a cell with line break, delete all characters before the line break (i.e. line break becomes the first character).
2) Enter the following formula somewhere: =code()
[Replace with the reference to the cell of
... See more
Hi Hans,

my Excel tells me that "my" line break is also #10* (and works fine in Transit). Therefore I wonder what goes wrong during your import... And what the line break in your customer's document really is...
To check the line break char code:
1) In a cell with line break, delete all characters before the line break (i.e. line break becomes the first character).
[Replace with the reference to the cell of step 1].
Then Excel displays the code of the used line break.

Best regards,

Oiseau noir
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Client project Jul 6, 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but since this is a project that was created by a client, I cannot use the imported Excel file.

Hans

Segmentation settings after import? Jul 7, 2012

Hi Hans,

Ähm -- You changed the segmentation settings (according to your 1st posting) although the project was created by your customer and you dont have to original files (according to your last posting).

It's obvious that files are segmented *during* import and pretranslation. Therefore changing the settings *after* import has no effect (and makes no sense). Therefore I wonder what you actually wanted to do?

Confused regards,

Oiseau noir

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Funny Jul 7, 2012

Oiseau noir wrote:

Hi Hans,

Ähm -- You changed the segmentation settings (according to your 1st posting) although the project was created by your customer and you dont have to original files (according to your last posting).

You're right. In fact I asked the client to re-import the Excel document according to my directions.

BTW: Is there a valid reason why you hide your identity?

HL

For me... Jul 7, 2012

... my reason is valid

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
#WAARDE! Jul 10, 2012

[quote]Oiseau noir wrote:

e with the reference to the cell of step 1].
Then Excel displays the code of the used line break.

I got hand of one of these Excel files. When I insert =CODE(B2) I get #WAARDE! (Wert/Value) so alas no value is shown.

I've tried F&R with ANSI 10, 11 and 13 (press Alt key, insert 010 on numeric keyboard etc.): to no avail.

Really puzzled here ...

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
SOLVED Jul 11, 2012

I've found a workaround:

1. Insert an extra column B after the column containing the text (column A).
2. Copy the following formula into cell B1:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(13),"|"&CHAR(13))

3. Drag the formula down as many cells as necessary (as contain text in column A).
4. Create a segmenting rule in Transit to split after every pipe character.
5. Translate in Transit.
6. Export the Excel file.
7. In Excel replace all pipes with a
... See more
I've found a workaround:

1. Insert an extra column B after the column containing the text (column A).
2. Copy the following formula into cell B1:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,CHAR(13),"|"&CHAR(13))

3. Drag the formula down as many cells as necessary (as contain text in column A).
4. Create a segmenting rule in Transit to split after every pipe character.
5. Translate in Transit.
6. Export the Excel file.
7. In Excel replace all pipes with a space or nothing.

Note: I tested this with Excel:mac 2011.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Excel: Force segmenting after line break

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »