Valeria Uva  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 08:57
Member (2013)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Apr 24, 2013

Hi,
does anybody know why Transit is so much expensive?
I used Transit during the master of translation in Barcelona (Pompeu Fabra), so I'd like to continue using it, but I've seen that comparing with other CAT (such as Trados or Dejavu) Transit is more expensive.

Thanks,
Valeria

Direct link Reply with quote

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:57
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Because they have lost the plot. Apr 24, 2013

I would suggest you get yourself a modern, up-to-date CAT tool with an active user community and a decent amount of communication between the users and the developers, such as memoQ, CafeTran, or even Déjà Vu. You might already have noticed STAR's total lack of interest in the world of us everyday translators. I wouldn't feel comfortable investing in a company that hardly even knew that I exist.

Michael

PS: @the moderator: please don't delete this. it is relevant to the topic of the post.

Adam Podstawczynski  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Because Apr 24, 2013

Yes, "because".

The ridiculous price and pricing models are not justified by anything other than Star's mysterious ability to trick agencies into requiring this parody of software from translators.

Transit used to be usable years ago, but in its current iteration it has become just a bloated blob with counter-intuitive interface, tacky icons and colors, and painful workflow. Even after you pay for a ridiculous time-based license, you still have to go through an absurdly complicated registration process which makes you wonder if you actually bought a CAT or weapons.

Once you register it and start using, things get only worse.

Don't buy it, don't use it. If an agency requires it, protest and recommend them other software.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 09:57
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Outdated Apr 24, 2013

Few years ago agencies often required Transit. I always got those jobs using the free Satellite version. But nowadays it seems Transit has lost out against the competition. Rest in peace, Transit.

Italy
Member (2013)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thx! Apr 24, 2013

Thanks for your suggestions!

Bertold Kiss  Identity Verified
Hungary
Member (2005)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Use MemoQ for Transit projects! Apr 24, 2013

I would recommend using MemoQ for your Transit projects. MemoQ tends to be a Swiss knife tool for translators, also allowing hassle-free importing and exporting of Transit projects. Just as example, I am currently translating a 30k+ no match words Transit project with MemoQ with no problems at all.

Actually customers should not care about what tool you are using if you can deliver the QA expectations by the deadline. Of course, some test run of the subject translation workflow is always encouraged if you do it the first time.

Answer Apr 25, 2013

Most of the answers don't answer the question and please don't be rude with me, I am only trying to answer the question without taking any side.
I personally use both MemoQ und Transit and can compare both a bit. I also worked with Deja Vu, Across and Omega T, but can't say too much about these.
If you want to translate simple documents, word, excel, don't need to import and export exotic memory translations, don't need to create alignments - MemoQ is the best. Omega T is maybe better, it doesn't cost you anything.
Transit is expensive in my opinion, not only because Star ist so mean and crazy. It has some very unusual functions and if I compare with MemoQ or Deja Vu - a bit more functions and controls, most of which you don't need unless you work with crazy xml files, length controls, work with terminology and dictionaries a lot.
I am not that good with MemoQ or Deja Vu, but can they work with length controls (the programm tells you, whether your translation is longer, than specified) or can I define, that only specific (which I define) blocks of xml are translated and others are not (can I have full control over what in the file has to be translated, and what not?), or can I work with xml files, where some values have to be switched after segments are translated (some xml files have variables like "Translate", which has to be altered to "Translated"). Can I work with it via command line and process files in batches (though it's not usable by normal users, it's possible)? Dictionary control in MemoQ is pretty simple and is good for simple tasks.
Transit is complex and you have a lot of control about how and what to import, protect. This is not translator friendly, that's why most of them are so unhappy. This is just not the right tool, if you want to do simple things. It is more suitable, if you have very unusual files and want to protect or hide as much as possible to make your work easy as possible and so that it doesn't show up in the counts for your customer.
I personally think, that MemoQ has a good price and the price is equal to the functionality. If MemoQ had the same functionality as transit, I am not sure, it would be that cheap.
Once again, in my opinion, Transit is not the best tool for normal small translators for some simple word-excel or maybe sometimes indesign translation. It's better for clients or agencies who process a lot of usual and unusual files and want to control the import as much as possible.

[Edited at 2013-04-25 09:12 GMT]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
market price Apr 25, 2013

I suppose Star charges what customers are willing to pay.

IMHO the XV version had much more edge over competitors than NXT, which is a step in the wrong direction, but still NXT has some features not found in other CAT tools (I also own Trados 2011, MemoQ, and Cafetran).

True, response from Star to users' suggestions could much better than the sad reality.

But all in all, even the NXT version of Transit is worth using, at least for some of us.

Antonin

Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:57
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
It would be difficult for you to avoid taking the side of your employer, I guess... Apr 25, 2013

Squires wrote:

Most of the answers don't answer the question and please don't be rude with me, I am only trying to answer the question without taking any side.

As it would be just fair to make clear that you work for STAR AG, as it appears in this very interesting discussion:

http://www.proz.com/forum/transit_support/217442-weak_points_of_transit_nxt.html

I understand your willingness to participate in the fora on Transit on your own, not as the official voice of STAR AG, but for me it only contributes to the question: How come that STAR is not able/willing to appoint somebody to communicate/explain the position of the company in such an important community effort as Proz.com fora?

Saludos

[Edited at 2013-04-25 19:42 GMT]

Egidijus Slepetys  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:57
German to Lithuanian
professional Apr 25, 2013

Professional stuff costs a little bit more

BTW, other tools don't last so many years as Transit does - very soon you have to pay for upgrades, support, new versions etc. With Transit you can feel safe for many many years (and you get free Service Packs regularly).

xxxtrhanslator
Or you can use CafeTran Apr 26, 2013

Bertold Kiss wrote:

I would recommend using MemoQ for your Transit projects.

I'd advise the use of CafeTran, that can process Transit language files too. Perhaps not as sophisticated as MQ, but very stable and fast. And not tied to Windows.

[Edited at 2013-04-26 08:25 GMT]

Italy
Member (2013)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 26, 2013

Thanks very much for your interesting answers!

I downloaded Trados Studio 2011 and Dejavu's trial versions and Omega T, so I'll compare this tools based on my needs (technical translations in pdf and doc files in the majority, web sites and terminology). Unfortunately there's not a free trial for Transit, so I'll bear in mind what you said about this tool. Thanks a lot!

Valeria

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do love Transit and even If I spent a lot buying it... Jun 9, 2013

I recovered my investment soon! Nobody said here that every two years we are obliged to pay the update for the new versión of the other CAT tools (except DejaVu): Trados 2007 to Trados 7 to Trados Studio 2009 to Studio 2011 now to Studio I don't remember what... the same for memoQ, the Wordfast license expires after three years..

I bought transitNXT when it first appeared, and yes, it was expensive, but I never had any issue with it (except until today, something has gone wrong, and I believe it is due to some automatic task of my PC). Management of terminology is great, the best of all CAT tools.

Regards

Clarisa

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:57
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I one of those "some of us" Jun 9, 2013

Antoní­n Otáhal wrote:

I suppose Star charges what customers are willing to pay.

IMHO the XV version had much more edge over competitors than NXT, which is a step in the wrong direction, but still NXT has some features not found in other CAT tools (I also own Trados 2011, MemoQ, and Cafetran).

True, response from Star to users' suggestions could much better than the sad reality.

But all in all, even the NXT version of Transit is worth using, at least for some of us.

Antonin

Absolutely!

Peamur
updates Jun 20, 2015

Please consider following: you buy NXT once and get Service Packs for free. Until now (from 2008) there were eight service packs and these can be considered as major updates (like Studio 2011 v s 2015 or all those MemoQ updates) other companies always charge for!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why Transit is so much expensive?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search