"Error writing to file"
Thread poster: Robert Rietvelt

Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:56
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
May 15, 2014

I recently installed Transit XV [SP 26] on 2 computers, a desktop with Windows 7 Pro and a new laptop with Windows 8.1.

When I open a file on my desktop, all seems to go well. I save the file in Projects (as indicated) and after opening Language pair, all is ready to start. I can translate, but after clicking on Save All, the project folder, where the file supposed to be saved, is empty (the folder was never created).

In short - everything seems to work, but Transit doesn't save the file in the folder it indicates and I can't find the (translated) file anyware on my desktop (????). Costs me already one job, there was nothing to sent to the client.

With my laptop it is a different story, it also doesn't save the file, but gives an error message "Error writing the file", after which Transit crashes. The only way to turn it off is with Ctrl - Alt - Delete.

So, 2 computers, each on its own way with problems saving files in Transit, that can't be a coincidence.

I translated a big file before with Transit on my old laptop with XP, and that worked just fine. Could it be a compatability question between my version of Transit and 7Pro/8.1?

Who has an answer?

Direct link Reply with quote

Local time: 03:56
German to Swedish
no answer, just an idea May 15, 2014

Hi Robert,

I do not have any answer, just an idea to track down the problem.

What happens if you actively save the project to somewhere else, e.g. an external disk? Sometimes all those user access control thingies intervenes in a clumsy way, especially on new setups.

not compatible May 15, 2014

Certain installation folders are not compatible (Transit XV is NOT officially compatible with Windows 7 or even 8).

I suppose you installed everything in C:\Program Files\Transit XV (so that bin, config, projects etc. are in this one folder) and Transit tries to write some files (like configuration files) and Windows ad Vista and higher doesn't allow applications to write into files if they are in C:\Program Files. That is why when you install (officially compatible) Transit NXT you have the option for installing application files (exe) and configuration files separately and configuration files are installed per default somewhere else and are not allowed to be installed in C:\Program Files.

I recommend you to reinstall the application and use another installation path. Best would be on another logical drive, like D:\Transit XV.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Error writing to file"

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

• All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search