Can Transit Professional ed. produce uncleaned files?
Thread poster: Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 00:01
Spanish
+ ...
Jan 31, 2008

Hello,

This is actually a short question: can Transit Professional create a uncleaned file (Trados) on-the-go? I know that other CAT tools can create an uncleaned file automatically, but I can't find anything about that on the Transit manual.

Thanks,

Claudia

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:01
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Jan 31, 2008

AFAIK, it can't. Why would you want to do this?

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
No, not directly Jan 31, 2008

Hi Claudia,

You have to pretranslate with Workbench or create a TTX file with Tag Editor and then import these files with the appropriate filters (file type).
After translating, the exported file will be an uncleaned bilingual file.

The other method, if you have already translated the file, is to export the project as a TMX file (Project > TMX Export). Then import this TMX file into Workbench and retranslate the file using the new TM. This method is much longer,
... See more
Hi Claudia,

You have to pretranslate with Workbench or create a TTX file with Tag Editor and then import these files with the appropriate filters (file type).
After translating, the exported file will be an uncleaned bilingual file.

The other method, if you have already translated the file, is to export the project as a TMX file (Project > TMX Export). Then import this TMX file into Workbench and retranslate the file using the new TM. This method is much longer, but at least it gives you an uncleaned file.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Jill
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is what I was afraid of Jan 31, 2008

Thank you Jill, I was afraid those were the only ways.

Margreet, the reason I want to do this is because I work with several agencies that request both the clean and the uncleaned files. Doing the conversion over and over to get an uncleaned file wouldn't be practical in the long run. I was considering buying the professional version, but considering the high price, there are several things I wish Transit could do better, and producing uncleaned is one of them.

Thanks a
... See more
Thank you Jill, I was afraid those were the only ways.

Margreet, the reason I want to do this is because I work with several agencies that request both the clean and the uncleaned files. Doing the conversion over and over to get an uncleaned file wouldn't be practical in the long run. I was considering buying the professional version, but considering the high price, there are several things I wish Transit could do better, and producing uncleaned is one of them.

Thanks again.

Claudia
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I see Jan 31, 2008

I work with both Trados and Transit for that reason.
Transit for those that want a Transit project file returned to them, Trados for everything else. It would be nice indeed, to have one tool that can handle both...

Good luck and thanks for the explanation.

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Terminology Jan 31, 2008

Margreet Logmans wrote:

I work with both Trados and Transit for that reason.

A little bit off-topic but, how do you manage the terminology, both the glossary and the TM's/reference, to keep them sync'ed, I mean. I tried to do that, but it was a nightmare.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
It can do it as already described by Gillian Jan 31, 2008

In Word+Workbench combination, you pretranslate in Trados and then import to Transit with the aid of the MS Word filter, (not showing hidden text), translate and export - what you get is an unclean Word "tradoslike" file. Rather easy and very satisfactory - I actually prefer that to "direct Trados in Word" process, mainly due to formatting issues.

With TagEditor it is similar, perhaps even less difficult, using the ttx import filter.

A disadvanatge is you have to own Tr
... See more
In Word+Workbench combination, you pretranslate in Trados and then import to Transit with the aid of the MS Word filter, (not showing hidden text), translate and export - what you get is an unclean Word "tradoslike" file. Rather easy and very satisfactory - I actually prefer that to "direct Trados in Word" process, mainly due to formatting issues.

With TagEditor it is similar, perhaps even less difficult, using the ttx import filter.

A disadvanatge is you have to own Trados to do that reliably (I mean, some other programs can "segmentise" text in the Trados manner, but to be completely sure that you are sending out a Trados compatible file, perhaps a final check in Trados is advisable).

The only ale problem is to create unclean Trados from older Transit translation, done directly in Transit - then the somewhat clumsy way described by Gillian sems to be the only option.

I am not a Star agent, but I have never been sorry for buying their XV Pro version.

Antonin
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Per client Jan 31, 2008

With Trados, I keep a general TM for myself (per subject area, eg. technical, medical, etc) and create a TM per (end)client.

For Transit, I always ask for project dictionaries and complete reference material from the agency I get the job from. They send me the projects as a whole (PXF-file). I expect the agency to keep this up to date. The good ones do.

I use my glossaries in Excel and keep them open in the background when working with either Trados or Transit, but tha
... See more
With Trados, I keep a general TM for myself (per subject area, eg. technical, medical, etc) and create a TM per (end)client.

For Transit, I always ask for project dictionaries and complete reference material from the agency I get the job from. They send me the projects as a whole (PXF-file). I expect the agency to keep this up to date. The good ones do.

I use my glossaries in Excel and keep them open in the background when working with either Trados or Transit, but that is not really workable in the long run. So I bought Anylexic, but haven't come round to actually using it yet

Yeah, it does get pretty nightmarish, every now and then. I haven't really found a solution yet.
Collapse

Claudia Alvis
Peru
Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
... Jan 31, 2008

Thanks for your explanation. I do a similar thing, but the difference is that I was planning on getting Transit as a replacement for Trados. It's funny but in Trados I hate Multiterm but I prefer the TM system, whilst in Transit, the way it handles the "reference" files is very confusing for me but I absolutely love the Dictionaries.

Gillian Scheibelein
Gillian Scheibelein  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
working with 2 CAT tools Jan 31, 2008

Claudia Alvis wrote:
A little bit off-topic but, how do you manage the terminology, both the glossary and the TM's/reference, to keep them sync'ed, I mean. I tried to do that, but it was a nightmare.

Hi Claudia,

I started working almost simultaneously with Transit and Trados as a requirement of 2 different agencies. Transit soon crystallized as the tool of choice, despite using only the Satellite version. In the meantime, I have huge amounts of Transit reference files that I can individually select for any project and can even change at will during translation. 99% of all my projects are now carried out in Transit, mainly because of my dictionaries - the 3 main dictionaries cover over 200,000 terms and its still very quick. Multiterm is not efficient. For agencies who want Trados + uncleaned files I have to use a workaround (similar to the one I described above). I pretranslate the files and import them into Transit. Works a treat. The only thing to watch out for are the tags at the ends of sentences on fuzzy matches and also Table of Contents usually has to be recreated in the exported document (I simply copy the old one and update the fields, quick and simple). If I am sent a Trados TM, I export it as a TMX with Workbench and then import into Transit and use it as reference (either during import of the project or whilst working).

IMHO, the chief advantages of using Transit are
1. being able to open all files at once (now available in Synergy).
2. Termstar: seeing all the dictionary terms in the segment in a separate window, a great advantage in German because sentences often need to be rearranged, also adding on the fly (4 clicks and you have a new entry, hence the 200,000 terms!)
3. Being able to set 5 different translation levels (untranslated, translated, spellchecked, checked 1, checked 2), which enables me to find all problem segments very quickly simply by filtering or setting the appropriate processing step.
4. It is much faster than Trados as there is no opening and closing of segments.

BTW, there are rumours of a new Transit version which is supposed to be the non-plus-ultra CAT tool.

Cheers,
Jill

Margreet Logmans (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
I am content with 2 Jan 31, 2008

Both have advantages. I would not know which one to choose if I had to discard one of them.

I like the dictionaries in Transit, but much prefer the general system in Trados. Multiterm is a pain in the neck, but I find working with tags easier in Trados. I also like the look-and-feel of Trados better than that of Transit, but the sending and receiving of the material is easier in Transit.

Not very helpful, is it, Claudia!...
See more
Both have advantages. I would not know which one to choose if I had to discard one of them.

I like the dictionaries in Transit, but much prefer the general system in Trados. Multiterm is a pain in the neck, but I find working with tags easier in Trados. I also like the look-and-feel of Trados better than that of Transit, but the sending and receiving of the material is easier in Transit.

Not very helpful, is it, Claudia!
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
new Transit Jan 31, 2008

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:
BTW, there are rumours of a new Transit version which is supposed to be the non-plus-ultra CAT tool.

Although my favourite tool is Deja Vu, Transit is really a good tool as well. And I am sure that the new version of Transit will be a superior one, too (despite the poor marketing but high pricing policy of Star).

As regards translating Trados files with Transit (or Deja Vu) you don't need to purchase Trados. A demo version of Trados will be sufficient to pretranslate the file, then you can translate the Trados-segmented file with your CAT of choice.

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:
4. It is much faster than Trados as there is no opening and closing of segments.

Seconded. Opening and closing segments each time is really a waste of time, and time is money.

And to add, Transit is the only CAT capable of translating AutoCAD files

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Maya Gorgoshidze[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can Transit Professional ed. produce uncleaned files?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »