Article: How to unite all your Instant Messengers
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
Local time: 09:57
SITE STAFF
Jun 26, 2005

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "How to unite all your Instant Messengers".

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
DON´T DO IT!! Nov 21, 2005

I followed the advice found in this article and installed Miranda two days ago.
After a while, I figured out how to do all the settings and so on. But what I could not do, was to make Yahoo Messenger work through Miranda. I browsed all over Miranda`s site for help. I found many forums about the same problem, people complaining about not being able to make Yahoo Messenger work. Some advices were given to them, unsuccesfully. I followed the same advices, but I could not fix the problem either.

This program was supposed to be made so that we can save time. However, I spent many hours just trying to make it work. I don`t have time to waste.

I uninstalled Miranda for good and went back to the real thing, my original messenger programs.
My advice? Don´t follow the suggestions in this article.
End of the story.

Walter

[Edited at 2005-11-21 12:40]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Timothy Barton
Local time: 19:57
French to English
+ ...
Sorry Walter, but I disagree Dec 31, 2005

Walter Landesman wrote:

I followed the advice found in this article and installed Miranda two days ago.
After a while, I figured out how to do all the settings and so on. But what I could not do, was to make Yahoo Messenger work through Miranda. I browsed all over Miranda`s site for help. I found many forums about the same problem, people complaining about not being able to make Yahoo Messenger work. Some advices were given to them, unsuccesfully. I followed the same advices, but I could not fix the problem either.

This program was supposed to be made so that we can save time. However, I spent many hours just trying to make it work. I don`t have time to waste.

I uninstalled Miranda for good and went back to the real thing, my original messenger programs.
My advice? Don´t follow the suggestions in this article.
End of the story.

Walter

[Edited at 2005-11-21 12:40]


I got Yahoo to work fine with Miranda. Having said that, I no longer use Miranda as I discovered Gaim, which is even better. No more annoying adverts with MSN messenger, and no more having several programs all open at once. All I have now is Gaim and Skype.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:57
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Gaim? Dec 31, 2005

Timothy Barton wrote:
I got Yahoo to work fine with Miranda. Having said that, I no longer use Miranda as I discovered Gaim, which is even better. No more annoying adverts with MSN messenger, and no more having several programs all open at once. All I have now is Gaim and Skype.


What is Gaim? Can you tell us mor about it, please?

Thank you

Walter


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Prokop Vantuch  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:57
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Another solution for you guys!!! Jan 6, 2006

Hi guys!

I know Miranda very well, and I find it very useful.
However, I don't use it. The reason is simple - I found another program that works for me even better than Miranda. It's name is Trillian.

It works well with ICQ, MSN, YAHOO, AIM, and IRC. What is more, you can have multiple nicknames connected at the same time. If you, for instance, have two ICQ numbers, you can be online at both of them at the same time.

The program can be downloaded from my website at this link:
http://www.joey.cz/trillian.exe

For more information, help, or any details, feel free to contact me.

Prokop


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Timothy Barton
Local time: 19:57
French to English
+ ...
Trillian slows your computer down Feb 1, 2006

Prokop Vantuch wrote:

Hi guys!

I know Miranda very well, and I find it very useful.
However, I don't use it. The reason is simple - I found another program that works for me even better than Miranda. It's name is Trillian.

It works well with ICQ, MSN, YAHOO, AIM, and IRC. What is more, you can have multiple nicknames connected at the same time. If you, for instance, have two ICQ numbers, you can be online at both of them at the same time.

The program can be downloaded from my website at this link:
http://www.joey.cz/trillian.exe

For more information, help, or any details, feel free to contact me.

Prokop


I used Trillian for a long time, and was very happy with it. I particularly liked the way it underlined words that you could then just scroll over for a Wikipedia definition. But I found it slowed down my computer a lot. I found Gaim to be much better, and it is also a multi-platform program, so if you're ever using Linux or Mac you won't need to adapt.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Michał Szcześniewski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 18:57
English to Polish
+ ...
works fine with me Jul 31, 2006

Hi there

I downloaded Miranda 2 months ago and it works fine. However, I must say that enhancing or personalising it takes some time and requires patience and some computer skills.

For me it works fine with AIM, MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, jabber, IRC and two most popular Polish messengers.
And does not slow down the computer.

Can only recommend.

Cheers,
Michał


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Angel Yamada  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:57
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
If you have several IM accounts: use meebo Apr 13, 2008

Instead of installing many IM programs or testing one that might replace them, I found it very useful to use Meebo. Meebo does not need any installation of programs in your computer. Its service is web-based, that is, you reach meebo's website (www.meebo.com), login and have all your IM accounts in one place, wherever you go.

You can enter user name and password of MSN, ICQ, Yahoo messenger, gmail, and use it on-line. Also you can register and log to all of your IM accounts with only one username and password at meebo.

Good luck.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: How to unite all your Instant Messengers

Advanced search






BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search