Article: Major misperceptions about traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Nov 20, 2005

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "Major misperceptions about traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese".

Jarosław Zawadzki
Jarosław Zawadzki  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:19
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
it's not a hk/tw diference Mar 14, 2007

the examples of tc as used in hk and tw that you are presenting are not at issue since they represent the words of two different languages: Tawanese Standard Mandarin and Hong Kong Cantonese.

Ying-Ju Fang
Ying-Ju Fang  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 05:19
Member (2012)
English to Chinese
台灣 versus 臺灣 in Taiwan Feb 5, 2010

台灣 is now more commonly used in Taiwan as language is constantly evolving.

killerzoza
killerzoza
Local time: 05:19
whut Jul 23, 2011

first of all i am not flaming, but i do find that you are making the differences seem slightly too big for any of the less informed who may be reading.

皇后 is always 皇后 and never 皇後 as when the PRC simplified 後 they simply merged into a homonym which is 后, so two original characters becomes one, as is the case with 干 乾 and 幹 (three into one in this case). Think of 天后 in Hong Kong for instance or Queen's Road.

me, being a Canadian Chinese from Ho
... See more
first of all i am not flaming, but i do find that you are making the differences seem slightly too big for any of the less informed who may be reading.

皇后 is always 皇后 and never 皇後 as when the PRC simplified 後 they simply merged into a homonym which is 后, so two original characters becomes one, as is the case with 干 乾 and 幹 (three into one in this case). Think of 天后 in Hong Kong for instance or Queen's Road.

me, being a Canadian Chinese from Hong Kong, am able to fully comprehend Taiwanese Mandarin both in text and speaking. Sure, i agree there are many differences, but they are easy to guess just by plain logic.

and from your examples ,

公車 is really a no brainer for us hong kongers. as well as 行動電話.
the only one where i can think of that may cause some problems would be 玉米.
besides 波士 and many others are colloquialisms, and would rarely appear in 白話文 (vernacular writing).

lastly i believe that the simplification from 臺 to 台 occured in taiwan.

not asking you to change your article or anything, just my 5 cents.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: Major misperceptions about traditional Chinese and simplified Chinese

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »