Article: THE CREATIVE WORLD OF SPANISH SUBTITLES
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 16, 2006

This topic is for discussion of the ProZ.com translation article "THE CREATIVE WORLD OF SPANISH SUBTITLES".

Richard Ramirez
Richard Ramirez
Local time: 23:44
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hecules Jan 30, 2007

I found this a masterpice of translations issues, very entertaining also very close to reality. One thing though: according to one of the dictionaries I trust, this two (hercules and heracles) are the same characters.

Margarita Palatnik (X)
Margarita Palatnik (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
the unique language of Spanish subtitles Aug 26, 2007

Very entertaining indeed!

My husband, who is Turkish, has been learning Spanish for the past few years during the months we spend in Uruguay. There, we watch Mexico or Miami-subtitled movies and TV shows, and he thought paying attention to the subtitles would be a good way of furthering his command of the language. Thus, a

"Lo siento cariño"

came out of his mouth one day, to the astonishment of our family. Nobody in Uruguay could ever come up with this ph
... See more
Very entertaining indeed!

My husband, who is Turkish, has been learning Spanish for the past few years during the months we spend in Uruguay. There, we watch Mexico or Miami-subtitled movies and TV shows, and he thought paying attention to the subtitles would be a good way of furthering his command of the language. Thus, a

"Lo siento cariño"

came out of his mouth one day, to the astonishment of our family. Nobody in Uruguay could ever come up with this phrase. So where did that come from? We were torn between rolling with laughter and finding out who had taught him the expression, while trying not to traumatize him into never speaking Spanish again. "They said it in Law & Order" was his explanation.

Then, a couple weeks later:

"¡Maldición!"

which elicited another round of family laughter that finally deterred him from using the subtitles as learning aids.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 04:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Idem Dec 3, 2008

Richard Ramirez wrote:

One thing though: according to one of the dictionaries I trust, this two (hercules and heracles) are the same characters.

It's part of the historical baggage of a language developed on the basis of the Latin spoken in Hispania.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Article: THE CREATIVE WORLD OF SPANISH SUBTITLES

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »