Welcome to the forum for discussing translation in Australia
Thread poster: Jared Tabor

Jared Tabor
Local time: 21:29
SITE STAFF
Jun 17, 2009

Dear members,

This forum has been created to discuss topics relevant to translators and the translation industry in Australia. Issues regarding translation, language study, payment practices, taxes, business considerations, and anything else that affects language professionals in Australia, are welcome here.

Best regards,

Jared

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
my impressions Jun 17, 2009

Hi there!

I am writing from Perth where I landed five months ago after years of Japan.

When I arrived here, I kept working as a Translator with my French and Japanese customers, so being or not being NAATI accredited was not going change my life. I did it just for the credential. I have to say I was a bit scared when I had a look at the French practise material which was full of inaccuracies and contained a few obvious mistakes.
I would be curious to know how is the practise material in other languages.

I got accredited as an Interpreter as well. Then I started looking for interpretation work, and I found the rate paid by most agencies I contacted (around AUD 60 per hour, AUD 12 per extra half hour) to be quite low compared to what I would earn in Japan or France. And it doesn't seem to be negociable. Do some agencies pay better ? I am going to start looking for direct clients as soon as I have a bit of time.

Looking forward to read your comments.

Wordorders  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:59
English to German
+ ...
NAATI Jun 17, 2009

Hi France-Japon,
I am NAATI accredited for translations from German into English, and I have to say that the German practice materials were flawless. That's at least one good thing I can say about NAATI - this, and their Adelaide office, which has very friendly staff.
Now when it comes to professionalism on a larger scale, that's another matter: first of all, I was told that my test results would be available within 6 to 8 weeks from the date of testing - it took more than twice as long! And if I had not chased them about the results myself, I'd probably still be waiting!
Another curious thing: sitting an additional test, even though I was already accredited by another institution from overseas, was much less expensive than just having that accreditation accepted by NAATI - which strikes me as a little weird: do they not trust any other institutions from overseas?
Anyway, I am happy to be "international" rather than having to rely on Australian clients alone...
Cheers!

Geraldine Oudin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Japanese to French
+ ...
Really ? Jun 20, 2009

The staff in Perth is really friendly too. Very small team, but nice people.
I got my results in 4 weeks instead of 8, so I was lucky.

But when they sent me the Interpreting practise material, they forgot the CD (ooops!).
As for the Translation practise material, I was so surprised by the mistakes that I opened a discussion on that topic in the French section of this forum, and everyone had to agree it was really strange. Maybe I should tell NAATI...

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
Good to see... Jun 21, 2009

there is a forum for OZ TI practitioners now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Welcome to the forum for discussing translation in Australia

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search