International Translation Day 2017

Join ProZ.com/TV for a FREE event on September 26-27th celebrating International Translation Day! 50+ hours of content, Chat, Live Q&A & more. Join 1,000's of linguists from around the globe as ProZ.com/TV celebrates International Translation Day.

Click for Full Participation

Your views and suggestions about jobs in OZ are needed here
Thread poster: doraemoninchina
doraemoninchina
Local time: 21:23
Sep 14, 2009

Dear all,

My question might be a bit irrelavant for translation. However, I wish if someone here could kindly offer me some hints or suggestions on landing a job in OZ.

I am now working in a foreign government's consulate in China with 3 years experience as cultural event manager & personal assistant for consuls. During my work, I am mainly responsible for spearheading all the cultural events and giving interpretation and translation upon need (like translating foreign ministry's documents and declarations). I graduated as an M.A. in general linguistics and applied linguistics and B.A. in Master, & minor in Finance.

Next year, I am planning to migrate with my husband who is a permanent resident there. We may need to start from scratch......

I heard from various channels that it is hard to land a job and my worst-of-all plan is to start with being waitress...However, I wish to get from any one here a true picture of the job market in OZ. What do you see my chances of getting a medium-paid job in the field of Public Relations & Administrations there...Shall I really be that pessimistic about finding a ordinary office clerical work?

And since my university is on the list of regconized overseas qualifications, I shall have a fair chance of having a NAATI accreditation (Chinese -English). If I have that done, will it add to my chances of securing a job involving a part of translation or interpretation?

How does it work in OZ, any job that involves even a small number of translation work, need to have a Naati accredited employee or just vacancy for full/part time translator or interpretor will need ?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your views and suggestions about jobs in OZ are needed here

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search