Ethics for NAATI Test
Thread poster: maxiewawa

maxiewawa

Local time: 15:30
Chinese to English
Feb 14, 2010

I'm considering taking the Chi -> Eng NAATI test. I've spoken Mandarin since childhood and am confident of passing.

Someone has pointed out the ethical questions to me though. It would be demoralising to pass the writing section and fail on ethics.

How can I brush up on the ethics of translation for the NAATI test? I'm a pretty ethical person I guess... don't tell anyone personal information... don't accept translations for language pairs you're not accredited for... accreditation in one direction doesn't imply accreditation in the other...

What to do? I don't want to fail for lack of ethical understanding. Where can I learn about ethics? CAN one learn about ethics, or are they not an innate quality that can't actually be learned? (OK, that last question might be something for a philosophical forum...)

Anna Herbst  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2008)
English to Swedish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
AUSIT Code of Ethics Feb 14, 2010

You need to study the AUSIT Code of Ethics which all translators and interpreters accredited by NAATI are expected to follow.
You can find it on this link:
http://www.ausit.org/eng/showpage.php3?id=650

Good luck!

Mien H. Luu  Identity Verified
Vietnam
Local time: 12:30
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Ethics questions and where to find the anwers Feb 14, 2010

You can buy from NAATI a preparation kit, which includes the book "Ethics of Translation and Interpreting". All the ethics questions asked during the translators/interpreter tests are based on the AUSIT Code of Ethics, which is detailed in the AUSIT Code of Practice. The kit also contains a Sample test script book where you will find, besides translation samples, sample questions on ethics of the profession.
For details please visit www.naati.com.au

maxiewawa

Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks very much. Feb 14, 2010

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:30
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My advice Feb 14, 2010

Your profile does not specifically say whether you are a translator or not at present. The NAATI translation test, as all other tests available for people without higher education in translation, is a very difficult test and pass rates are very low even among active translators. Knowledge of languages, even if you use them fluently, is not enough to pass a translation test at a professional level.

If you are not a translator, my advice is that you put your abilities to a test with the help of a Chinese-English NAATI-certified translator (you can find one here in Proz.com) who can send you a text to translate and can tell you whether you are able to deal with it to a professional standard. Of course this person might charge you a fee for the review of your translation.

If you do not check first whether you are able to deal with a difficult translation job, you will probably waste your money registering for the NAATI test...

Good luck!

maxiewawa

Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your help! Feb 14, 2010

Gracias Tomas, I'll have to hunt around the site for someone like that.icon_wink.gif

Help!! Dec 13, 2011

I also have a similar question...
I'm preparing to do a para professional translantion NAATI test (Korean -> English)!
It is my first time doing it and I have some trouble preparing for it..
I have done an online course of "Behaving ethically" and there are
only a few sample questions and history of ethics, but that's it.
I can see that a lot of people are purchasing the preparing kit...
I can't really afford it at the moment, but are there any other suggestions?
Or can anyone send me practice questions and important source to my email (enchanted_jesi@hotmail.com)?
It'll be a great pleasure... Other than ethical questions, I'm practising
translating by just grabbing newspaper articles, etc. and using them as my
practice source. Do you think that is enough? or do you really think purchasing
a practice kit is the only way and most efficient way to pass the test?
Thank you!

naribennybee
Australia
Can somebody please help me with this question? Jun 11, 2014

Question: Suppose you have just completed translating a business report for a company. During the job, you were provided various drafts of the report before translating the final version. You notice unusual differences between the drafts and later learn that your client has been arrested on charges of business fraud relating to the document you translated. Would you provide evidence at the trial concerning the discrepancies you noted?

Does this involve the principle of Confidentiality(2.4 and Itl15) or Impartiality(4.4)? Would it be an obligation for the translator to provide evidence at the trial?

So difficult.... I'd truly appreciate any help!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ethics for NAATI Test

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €435 / $519
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €435 / $519 / £345 / ¥63000 You will also receive FREE access to Studio 2019 when released.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search