Price of unofficial translation in Australia
Thread poster: zhoobi
Jun 7, 2012

Hi guys

A friend make an unofficial translation organization in Australia, Sydney, to translate a contract from French to English for me and now ask me for about 200 Dollar. The original document in French is about 6 pages and the translation is only 3 pages. In the translated document in English has been written that the number of the words are 1725. The organization is a professional translation one but it has been written that this document is an unofficial translation.

I want to know how much is the price of Unofficial French to English translation there, in Australia per page or per word? Don't you think that 200 dollars is a bit high for only 3 pages French to English translation?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 18:27
English to Swedish
Sounds right Jun 7, 2012

The price per word is 0.116 which is a realistic price.

The fact that they have marked the translation as 'unofficial' means that it is not a sworn translation, which would have been more expensive. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Translating_for_legal_equivalence

Asa

[Redigerad 2012-06-07 14:29 GMT]

Daria Bontch-Osmolovskaia
Australia
Local time: 17:57
English
+ ...
about right Jun 8, 2012

I agree with Asa - 0.12 cents (rounding it up) is reasonable for unofficial legal translation in Australia, perhaps even on the low side.

It doesn't matter how many pages the original takes - one can format text in tiny font and fit an entire novel on one page! However, 1725 words is about 4-5 hours work, which for $200 ends up at about $35-50 per hour, which is a reasonable hourly rate. Remember that your friend will have to pay at least 20% tax.

Regarding 6 pages of original turning into 3 pages of translation, it's quite possible if the original was in a pdf format, if it was in larger font, if it was formatted with a lot of spaces and dot points... the list is endless, and I don't even know whether French legalese uses more words that English! If you are really concerned about the quality of translation, get another translator or an agency to run QA on it (i.e. compare it to the original and give you a report).

QUOI  Identity Verified

Chinese to English
+ ...
It sounds pretty cheap Jun 8, 2012

A person who claims to be a professional translator in Australia means he/she has been accredited by NAATI, the statutory body administering country's accreditation system. Any translation produced by an accredited translator is official. In some domestic jurisdictions, ie the family court, there is a requirement for an affidavit by the translator to be enclosed with the translation. But in general terms, a translation is an official translation if it has been translated by an officially accredited translator.

In this case, the translator, if as he claims to be an official translator, has provided a very cheap service even though the translation states it is unofficial.

I have never met an accredited translator who voluntarily states that his/her translation is unofficial. This assessment should come from whichever jurisdiction that accepts the translation.

The normal translation rates in Australia, speaking from my experience only, are A$0.17-A$0.35 per word.

[Edited at 2012-06-08 02:00 GMT]

zhoobi
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 8, 2012

Thank you all guys here, I got my answers, It was your kindness

I'm not worried about the number of pages or if the translation is complete or not, I know French enough to verify it myself, I want to be informed of prices only.

And I think the explain of Asa about the term unofficial seems more agreeable.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price of unofficial translation in Australia

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search