Thread poster: Annett Roessner

Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:16
Member (2017)
English to German
Jul 12, 2014

Hi All

I would like to know what type of formal training do you think I need to work as a professional translator in Australia. My native language is German. I grew up in Germany before I moved to Australia aged 29, nine years ago. I obtained a Bachelor in Banking Services and Operations in Germany (Bankfachwirt IHK) and a Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) in Australia. I have worked in the Financial industry all my life. I haven't had any formal training in Translations for my language pair (English ->German).

I had a look on the web and it seems all NAATI accredited courses are on-campus and I would much prefer a long-distance/online course with the aim to sit the NAATI test down the track.

I also came across an online course offered through Words Language Services in Ireland. They offer a Certificate or a Diploma course. From what I could gather, even if I sat for the exam for the Diploma, the certificate doesn't have one, this would still not be enough to get NAATI accredited and I would need to sit for the NAATI test.

Can you guys please let me know what type of courses online or on-campus you can recommend to kick-start my career in translating.

Do you think having a NAATI accredition would be enough or do potential clients/agencies want to see more in terms of formal qualifications. I know professional translators/interpreters in Germany usually have a Masters degree in Translations/Interpreting for their language pair.

Thanks guys,

Annett

Dylan Jan Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Is it necessary? Jul 14, 2014

I'm going to try to keep this short.

I have just returned to Aus after spending years working/studying in my source language country.
Before returning (or ever hearing about NAATI) I had already built up a reputation and relationship with many clients, none of whom are in Australia.
Now I've learned of NAATI, it's $600 test plus membership fees etc really sound like a rip off and wouldn't be of much use to me, unless I wanted to become a court interpreter, or have a shop front translating official documents, neither of which I want to.

Someone with NAATI please detail the benefits of membership.

Australia is really a small country when considering client base, that's why I wonder if it's worth it.

I have a language degree, Anthropology Masters, and honestly, the most useful thing I've studied for my translation enterprise is a Micro Business Operations course offered through the NEIS. Check it out.

Michelle Fung  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:16
English to Chinese
well... Jul 16, 2014

It can be useful for some agencies which required formal translating qualification.

Check here
http://www.naati.com.au/approved_aust_courses.html

there is a list of NAATI approved courses.

you need to get 70% or more to get the qualification in these courses, but it will be easier rather than just sitting the exam.

Hope this help!

PBeretta (X)  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:16
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Seeking translation training and courses in Australia Aug 7, 2014

Hello Annett,

Like you, I have been searching online courses to get appropriate training as a translator, without much success. It seems to me that there are options for languages in high demand (eg. Asian languages), but I have not been able to find anything for my pair of languages (Portuguese/English), let alone online. I have investigated NAATI and its accreditation program, but I do not want to become accredited right away as I don't feel I have enough knowledge or experience to do so.

Does anybody know of any qualifications that can be taken online, through an Australian organisation? Or if not, are there any Portuguese/English translators that have found alternatives?

Regards,

Paola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formal Translator Training in Australia

Advanced search

Across Translator Edition and Across Language Server v7
Meet our brand new version and speed up your translation processes!

Deliver high-quality translations with our fast and secure solutions. You can also integrate machine translation and other third-party systems. The Across Translator Basic Edition is free for freelancers. Start now and discover new business opportuniti

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search