Thread poster: Annett Roessner

Annett Roessner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 11:28
Member (2017)
English to German
Jul 12, 2014

Hi All

I would like to know what type of formal training do you think I need to work as a professional translator in Australia. My native language is German. I grew up in Germany before I moved to Australia aged 29, nine years ago. I obtained a Bachelor in Banking Services and Operations in Germany (Bankfachwirt IHK) and a Diploma in Financial Services (Financial Planning) in Australia. I have worked in the Financial industry all my life. I haven't had any formal training in Translations for my language pair (English ->German).

I had a look on the web and it seems all NAATI accredited courses are on-campus and I would much prefer a long-distance/online course with the aim to sit the NAATI test down the track.

I also came across an online course offered through Words Language Services in Ireland. They offer a Certificate or a Diploma course. From what I could gather, even if I sat for the exam for the Diploma, the certificate doesn't have one, this would still not be enough to get NAATI accredited and I would need to sit for the NAATI test.

Can you guys please let me know what type of courses online or on-campus you can recommend to kick-start my career in translating.

Do you think having a NAATI accredition would be enough or do potential clients/agencies want to see more in terms of formal qualifications. I know professional translators/interpreters in Germany usually have a Masters degree in Translations/Interpreting for their language pair.

Thanks guys,

Annett

Dylan Jan Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Is it necessary? Jul 14, 2014

I'm going to try to keep this short.

I have just returned to Aus after spending years working/studying in my source language country.
Before returning (or ever hearing about NAATI) I had already built up a reputation and relationship with many clients, none of whom are in Australia.
Now I've learned of NAATI, it's $600 test plus membership fees etc really sound like a rip off and wouldn't be of much use to me, unless I wanted to become a court interpreter, or have a shop front translating official documents, neither of which I want to.

Someone with NAATI please detail the benefits of membership.

Australia is really a small country when considering client base, that's why I wonder if it's worth it.

I have a language degree, Anthropology Masters, and honestly, the most useful thing I've studied for my translation enterprise is a Micro Business Operations course offered through the NEIS. Check it out.

Michelle Fung  Identity Verified
Australia
English to Chinese
well... Jul 16, 2014

It can be useful for some agencies which required formal translating qualification.

Check here
http://www.naati.com.au/approved_aust_courses.html

there is a list of NAATI approved courses.

you need to get 70% or more to get the qualification in these courses, but it will be easier rather than just sitting the exam.

Hope this help!

xxxPBeretta  Identity Verified
Australia
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Seeking translation training and courses in Australia Aug 7, 2014

Hello Annett,

Like you, I have been searching online courses to get appropriate training as a translator, without much success. It seems to me that there are options for languages in high demand (eg. Asian languages), but I have not been able to find anything for my pair of languages (Portuguese/English), let alone online. I have investigated NAATI and its accreditation program, but I do not want to become accredited right away as I don't feel I have enough knowledge or experience to do so.

Does anybody know of any qualifications that can be taken online, through an Australian organisation? Or if not, are there any Portuguese/English translators that have found alternatives?

Regards,

Paola

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Anna Herbst[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formal Translator Training in Australia

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search