Translation Master's programs in Canada and the US
Thread poster: javitxu
javitxu
javitxu
English to Spanish
Nov 27, 2008

Hi there,

I am currently analyzing the possibility of going to either the States or Canada to study a Masters degree in Translation next year and would appreciate some advice as to the best programs available.

I have been doing some research and it seems that in Canada there are more possibilities on this field, is this correct?

In the States, I've heard that the only program that it's actually worth is the one in Monterrey.

Anybody who could m
... See more
Hi there,

I am currently analyzing the possibility of going to either the States or Canada to study a Masters degree in Translation next year and would appreciate some advice as to the best programs available.

I have been doing some research and it seems that in Canada there are more possibilities on this field, is this correct?

In the States, I've heard that the only program that it's actually worth is the one in Monterrey.

Anybody who could me some info?

Thanks in advance,
Javi
Collapse

Damon Loomer
Damon Loomer  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure there's much Spanish Nov 27, 2008

Hi Javi,

I don't know very much about the Master's programs here in Canada, except that, as far as I know, they're all focused on EN-FR-EN. Some of them have a Spanish component (U. of Ottawa comes to mind), but I think it's quite limited.
I'm sure someone else here can tell you more.

Damon

Sorina C
Sorina C  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
SPA/ENG Master's Nov 27, 2008

Hi there,

To my kowledge, the Master's in Spanish Translation at Ottawa U. has been suspended for a year or two. Glendon College at York University has a certificate program in English-Spanish translation, and that's about it. In the U.S., I think there is a program at Monterrey, if I am not mistaken. The main focus here is FR/EN/FR.

My advice is your best bet would be the U.S. for this language combination, not Canada.

Suerte!

javitxu
javitxu
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Dec 2, 2008

Thanks to both of you for your replies!

You are probably right, it seems more logical to have a ES/EN language combination in California than in Canada

My third language is French, but I am not sure my level is high enough to enter a EN/FR program. Does anybody know what is the level required for Universities in Canada? (I mean, for example, do you have to do translation into French too or only to French)
... See more
Thanks to both of you for your replies!

You are probably right, it seems more logical to have a ES/EN language combination in California than in Canada

My third language is French, but I am not sure my level is high enough to enter a EN/FR program. Does anybody know what is the level required for Universities in Canada? (I mean, for example, do you have to do translation into French too or only to French)

Thanks!
Javi
Collapse

Damon Loomer
Damon Loomer  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
usually for native speakers Dec 3, 2008

Hi Javi,

As I'm sure you know, most translation programs are aimed in one direction or another. The programs at francophone universities focus on producing EN>FR translators (which by the way represents about 80% of the market in Canada). You need to be able to write at the level of an educated native speaker to get in (or that's the theory at least).

Regards,

Damon

Miriam2008
Miriam2008
Local time: 16:40
Spanish to English
Glendon, York, UoToronto, Binghampton Dec 16, 2008

The Certificate in Spanish-English translation from Glendon/York doesn't require French, and takes 2 years to complete. All the modules are compulsory. You can find out more here: http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/spcert-en/more.html

The MA Translation from York does, however, require French, as does the MA that the University fo Ottawa offer. If I remember correctly, in both cases
... See more
The Certificate in Spanish-English translation from Glendon/York doesn't require French, and takes 2 years to complete. All the modules are compulsory. You can find out more here: http://www.glendon.yorku.ca/spcert-en/more.html

The MA Translation from York does, however, require French, as does the MA that the University fo Ottawa offer. If I remember correctly, in both cases you'll be expected to have a high proficiency.

The U of Toronto does a distance course English>Spanish; I'm still trying to find out if it can be done in the other direction but it doesn't look like it.

Let me know how you get on; I've been looking for Masters courses as well but without French the options are limited. I'm only able to tell you things I've found out durng my own research, and have no personal experience.

Mim
.p.s. If you've thought about moving to that geographical area but can't find a good course in Canada, you could try Binghamton (part of SUNY) in the States but near Canada; they offer a certificate in translation which you can tailor to your interests to some extent and which lasts a year. The website can be found by searching for TRIP Binghamton on Google.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation Master's programs in Canada and the US

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »