Attention, people in Canada whose identity was stolen by another freelance portal
Thread poster: ViktoriaG

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:31
English to French
+ ...
Jul 28, 2009

Re: http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/140369-illegal_use_of_data_from_prozcom_profile.html

As of tonight, "my" account is still displayed on the portal discussed in the thread above.

I would simply like to advise ProZ users whose identity has been stolen that they can file a complaint with the RCMP. I spoke to an agent tonight and she confirmed that such complaints are taken and, when sufficient evidence exists, investigated and acted upon. I strongly recommend to those who still have an account showing on the site discussed in the thread referenced above to contact the RCMP and file a complaint.

My file number with the RCMP is PQ90700545. Please, mention this file number when you contact them--they link like complaints together, and by having several complaints linked, the RCMP would have more evidence to work with.

To find the phone number to contact your local RCMP detachment, please visit this page: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/detach/index-eng.htm

Please, do not file a complaint by e-mail--understandably, the RCMP doesn't use e-mail for this purpose and your mail will be handled as junk.

All the best!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-07-28 06:24 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Flemish to English
+ ...
Much ado about nothing. Jul 28, 2009

The internet is virtual, owned by nobody and it not a state.
To what extent is an internet ID, a real ID owned by its owner?
How is the RCMP going to pursue a person who falls under the jurisdiction of the Ukraine, a country with an average income of 80$/month and where an extra $/€ performs miracles.
Officials in Ukraine have other things on their mind than pursuing somebody for the use of data available on the internet. Besides those data are not important. Or are translators as important as Barack Obama?




[Edited at 2009-07-28 06:10 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:31
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not about IDs Jul 28, 2009

Williamson wrote:

To what extent is an internet ID, a real ID owned by its owner?

We are not talking about IDs. In my case, my entire name is out there. I believe my name belongs to me, thank you.
Williamson wrote:

Officials in Ukraine have other things on their mind than pursuing somebody for the use of data available on the internet.

This is not mere use of data--this is identity theft. Somebody somewhere is pretending to be me.

It has been reported in some cases that e-mail addresses and postal addresses are displayed as well. Would you like your personal information all over the Web when you didn't publicly post it? The data was not obtained legally and identities of thousands of people have been stolen. You are saying that just because sh*t happens, I should go with it?

There's something you don't seem to understand. Nobody said anything about pursuing people. But I do have the right to have my personal data removed. It seems that what has been done over the past days isn't enough to convince them to remove my information. So, you see, I am only using my rights. See anything wrong with that?

I don't understand what you say about data not being important. If it weren't important, it wouldn't have been stolen in the first place. They could have opened a bunch of fake profiles. For some reason, that wasn't good enough for them. So, I guess the data is indeed important. Also, once again, this is not about data but rather about identity theft.

As for your reference to Barack Obama, I really don't get it. Sorry.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Flemish to English
+ ...
Move on Jul 28, 2009

It don't find myself in that outsource.com database. Perhaps it is because I don't show my real name in my profile.
How are you going to take legal action against that theft?
On the basis of what laws?
The laws of the Ukraine?
Unless you pay officials bribes to complement their low salary, you know as well as I that you are not going to get far.
No police service in the former USSR is going to make a case out of internet theft of a the data of a lowly translator. Of course, you could always pay a lawyer.

The reference to the president of the US: Well some translators with very "big egos" think that their job is as important as the job of president of the US. Get real. Proz.com is a website on which you voluntarily posted your data. If somebody else cuts & pastes those data, so what.
Do you think any embassy or consular service is going to act upon such an act? I think they are going to. Get real, move on instead of making a fuzz about it.


[Edited at 2009-07-28 09:16 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:31
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
it's not about egos Jul 28, 2009

It's about theft of a large part of the database, and with my details readily available in Ukrane not far removed from hacking into my credit card details which are also "somewhere out there"; I won't be smiling if they clean out my bank account and I cannot pay my mortgage anymore....
Trying to prevent this has nothing to do with my ego, it's plain common sense.

The fact that some Ukranian school drop out might impersonate me and start spamming clients with viagra mails and russian bride scams is another option...

The faster this guy is taken offline, the better...


===
Ed


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Laurent KRAULAND  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:31
French to German
+ ...
Unrequested displaying of personal data Jul 28, 2009

I think the main point here is the unrequested displaying of personal data, none of those who have complained to be displayed on OSR have registered with this site. Therefore, it can be ranked as ID theft and can be ranked as a form of white-collar criminality. The fact that people do not care to have their personal information displayed on sites they did not register with does not make the ID theft more normal or more legal. Plus the ID theft can only be the starting point of a greater operation, as Ed pointed to.
As per the Ukraine, it joined the ICPD some years ago. The overall situation in this country may be more than difficult, but ignoring actual and potential crimes will probably not help changing its situation for the best (or for the "less worse").

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-07-28 10:01 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Aniello Scognamiglio  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:31
English to German
+ ...
The password was accessed too! Jul 28, 2009

Williamson wrote:

The internet is virtual, owned by nobody and it not a state.
To what extent is an internet ID, a real ID owned by its owner?
How is the RCMP going to pursue a person who falls under the jurisdiction of the Ukraine, a country with an average income of 80$/month and where an extra $/€ performs miracles.
Officials in Ukraine have other things on their mind than pursuing somebody for the use of data available on the internet. Besides those data are not important. Or are translators as important as Barack Obama?




[Edited at 2009-07-28 06:10 GMT]


What Henry (the site founder) said 5 days ago (bold is mine):

The data was accessed during the first week of June, ie. a little over a month ago (though as I have posted previously, it is older ProZ.com profiles that were affected.) Among the information accessed were username, password (encrypted, not readable), first name, last name, phone number, email address and some geographical fields.
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_job_systems/140369-illegal_use_of_data_from_prozcom_profile-page11.html


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
French to English
+ ...
Hmm... Jul 28, 2009

Williamson wrote:

It don't find myself in that outsource.com database. Perhaps it is because I don't show my real name in my profile.



[Edited at 2009-07-28 09:16 GMT]


But it does list someone (brief details) with your Skype name...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:31
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Whatever Jul 28, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Well some translators with very "big egos" think that their job is as important as the job of president of the US. Get real.

Frankly, Williamson, if you don't mind your personal information being stolen, that's your business. Meanwhile, let your colleagues, no matter how big their egos, deal with this their own way. For someone with a "normal" ego, you sure are taking up a lot of room in this thread...

[Edited at 2009-07-28 15:36 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:31
Flemish to English
+ ...
What are you going to do about it. Jul 28, 2009

Words. I would be curious to find out what you are going to do about it and what the practical result will be. File a complaint in Ukraine? Good luck. Don't forget to gather money to pay for the lawyers fee and to bribe bureaucracy.

Or can Proz.com do something to protect its members against data theft?



[Edited at 2009-07-28 17:44 GMT]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:31
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Your record skips, Williamson Jul 28, 2009

You have given your opinion three times already, which is also off topic by the way. Are you going to keep repeating yourself? Talk about big egoes...

Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attention, people in Canada whose identity was stolen by another freelance portal

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search