Help finding the meaning of Quebecian slang word!!!!
Thread poster: needhelp
Nov 18, 2009

Hi, my teacher always says a couple of words when he is angry. He speaks english, however whenever he gets angry he says 2 or 3 words that are not pure quebecian but slang quebecian. So i asked him what they meant. he told me if i found out what they meant he would give me a bonus mark. However, he refused to repeat what he said out loud.This was all i managed to hear:

steekka (other word unknown) = what does that mean in english????

thanks for help

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
A wild guess... Nov 19, 2009

...He might have been saying "hostie de calice", which pronounced really fast would probably sound as "steka"; the fragment "lice" woth be missing in the part you heard, though.

What is interesting to know is that most Quebec curse words are related to the Catholic religion. It is like a kind of backlash. Quebec society was extremely religious until the "Revolution Tranquile" of the 60s. Then, the words that used to be sacred, such as the eucaristic wafer (hostie), the chalice (ca
... See more
...He might have been saying "hostie de calice", which pronounced really fast would probably sound as "steka"; the fragment "lice" woth be missing in the part you heard, though.

What is interesting to know is that most Quebec curse words are related to the Catholic religion. It is like a kind of backlash. Quebec society was extremely religious until the "Revolution Tranquile" of the 60s. Then, the words that used to be sacred, such as the eucaristic wafer (hostie), the chalice (calice), the place where the wafers are kept (ciboire), and other religious symbols like the tabernacle ("tabarnac"), and the sacraments ("sacrement") started to be used as curses as a way, I suppose, for them to reject the religion that had been so oppressive to them for so many years.

Sometimes, the words are twisted so as to avoid pronouncing the full word. I had friends who used to say "sacre bleu" (which also comes from a character in a French comic stripe, Tintin) or "sac a papier" instead of "sacrement".

This is surprising to a certain extent for people who are not familiar with the Quebec culture, but after thinking of it for a while, it is no different from other societies. For instance, in Mexico, the worst curse words are always related to the mother of the person who is being insulted, and this must be because the figure of the mother is so revered in the Mexican culture.

Now you have something to tell your teacher, see if he gives you the bonus mark, and let us know!

[Edited at 2009-11-19 13:20 GMT]
Collapse

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
Local time: 13:22
English to French
Wow! Nov 19, 2009

Aguas, your answer really impresses me and made me laugh out loud!!

I would also got with "ostie de câlice". I use a couple a those words sometimes, including when I see a translation offer at 0,02 $)))

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
Thank you, Josée Nov 19, 2009

I wonder what was the part that impressed you, and what was the part that made you laugh

Josée Desbiens
Josée Desbiens
Canada
English to French
Well... Nov 19, 2009

For someone who lives in Bresil, you have a pretty good knowledge of the Quebec culture. Plus, I liked your guess, It was not obvious)))

[Modifié le 2009-11-19 13:54 GMT]

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Yep Nov 19, 2009

My first thought was "en tous cas", "in any case", "anyway". But if he's angry... it's probably those religious swear words referred to above. Quebeckers often chain these words together, depending on the extent of their anger!

And the language is known as Quebecois (not Quebecian, which is not a word.)

Hope you get your bonus points!

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:22
English to French
+ ...
+1 Nov 19, 2009

Pronounced very quickly: 'stie d'câliss'

Could very well be what he said!

Natasha Dupuy
Natasha Dupuy  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 19:22
French to English
+1 again Nov 19, 2009

I agree on the "ostie de câlice"... my boss used to say it all the time, especially when slamming the phone down

Aguas de Mar (X)
Aguas de Mar (X)
So? Dec 6, 2009

Were we correct? Did you surprise your teacher? Did you get the bonus mark?

trado1999
trado1999
English to French
Hostic là ! Feb 6, 2010

Aguas de Marco wrote:
Hostic is a deformation of Hostie, which is a sacred word. And « là » puts emphasis on the fact that your teacher is probably fed up with something...
Were we correct? Did you surprise your teacher? Did you get the bonus mark?

[Edited at 2010-02-06 05:33 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help finding the meaning of Quebecian slang word!!!!

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »