Thread poster: Fouad El karnichi

Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:19
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 30, 2011

I would like to have your opinion please regarding the below case:

I received a job request from somebody/individual to do a translation assignment (an individual - no agency) claiming he is from sweden.He accepted my rate and decided to pay an advanced fee of 30% of the total amount (1200 US dollars) , the rest when the translation will be finalised.

I asked to send the PO and assignment ; Neverthless, the guy insisted on sending the advance payment first via travellers cheque.Translation will be sent by next week , he said !!

This afternoon, he contacted me via e-mail saying that his client sent by mistake a 3000 US dollars travellers cheque to my address here in Quebec. He is asking me to cash the cheque keep the 30% to start the translation ( which of course I physically do not have till now) and send back via western union the balance.

I am suspecting this is a scam.What do you think?

Cheers

[Edited at 2011-03-30 23:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-03-30 23:49 GMT]

christeld  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:19
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Scam Mar 30, 2011

Based on the information you provided it sounds like you've fallen victim of a scammer. I would advise you not to cash the travelers cheque, take it to your nearest police station along with a print out of all communication (preferably including full message headers for the e-mails).

You'll find a variety of similar threads here.

HTH.

Jean-Pierre Artigau
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Scam, of course Mar 31, 2011

This is exactly what you should not do:
Cash the cheque, then pay back the difference very soon ($ 1,800) because you are so honest, then be told much later by your bank that the original cheque was without funds, and that accordingly 3,000 $ were subtracted from you account; then it will be impossible for you to get your $ 1,800 back.

And be assured that you will never receive a translation assignment.

Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:19
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It seems you are not the only one! Mar 31, 2011

Please read post http://www.proz.com/forum/off_topic/195569-scam_alert.html

Is it similar?

Regards

Clarisa

Fouad El karnichi  Identity Verified
Canada
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Mar 31, 2011

Thank you Cristeld and Clarisa.

Now , am quite certain about it...strange heh !

I do not understand why those pity and shallow prxxxks are targetting our forums...?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 08:19
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
SCAMMMMM!!!!! Mar 31, 2011

Delete and forget.

Andrea Wurth
Germany
Local time: 08:19
Member (2008)
French to German
Good Morning Mar 31, 2011

I received the same translation project and this twice.

The first time in january and the second time this week according to a bidding via proz.
Each time I was given a sample text and I was asked to indicate my personal data and banking details, which I never indicated.
In return I asekd for more information about the project and I insisted of indicating the right address since I wondered why it always was posted as a german one (which after investigations did not exist) and when answering it was in Canada (in january) respectively in Sweden (the bidding of this week).
Furthermore I indicated that I would not accept payment via Traveller cheques but only via Paypal.
Since then I did not get any answer...

Now I am really glad not having "dived" deeper into this affair which and I wish that such scammers would be banned from proz.

giu_seppa
French to German
+ ...
Thanks for these comments Mar 31, 2011

I am in touch with the same person. He applied exactly the same method as Fouad explained. By chance I found all your advices and I am sure now it must be a scammer. Thank you to all of you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Strange request

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search