Sophia Ozog
Sophia Ozog
France
Local time: 09:22
English to French
+ ...
Mar 30, 2012

Bonjour,

Traductrice de l'anglais vers le français basée en France (à Rouen, Normandie), je poste aujourd'hui sur ce forum car j'aimerais consulter mes collègues québécois sur un point.
Lors d'une discussion, une amie traductrice française ayant émigré au Québec il y a une dizaine d'années m'a dit qu'il existe actuellement un carence importante en matière de professionnels de la traduction au Canada.

J'aimerais savoir si cela est vrai. Je suis actuelle
... See more
Bonjour,

Traductrice de l'anglais vers le français basée en France (à Rouen, Normandie), je poste aujourd'hui sur ce forum car j'aimerais consulter mes collègues québécois sur un point.
Lors d'une discussion, une amie traductrice française ayant émigré au Québec il y a une dizaine d'années m'a dit qu'il existe actuellement un carence importante en matière de professionnels de la traduction au Canada.

J'aimerais savoir si cela est vrai. Je suis actuellement à mon compte mais envisage de peut-être, éventuellement, m'installer à mon tour au Québec d'ici 1 an ou 2 ans après avoir muri ce projet. Rien n'est décidé pour l'instant mais autant prendre des informations auprès de vous le plus tôt possible. Si je décide d'émigrer, je pense que je m'orienterai d'abord vers un poste de traducteur salarié, histoire de m'habituer à mon nouvel environnement et au français du Québec.

Parce que l'herbe n'est pas nécessairement plus verte ailleurs, je me demande donc s'il est difficile de trouver un emploi salarié de traducteur au Québec dans ma combinaison de langues et si les différences entre le français de métropole et celui du Québec ne constitueraient pas un handicap pour moi et pour d'éventuels employeurs. Qu'en pensez-vous ?

Je vous remercie par avance pour toutes les infos que vous pourrez m'apporter pour y voir plus clair,

Cordialement,

[Edited at 2012-03-30 17:32 GMT]
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 03:22
English to Italian
+ ...
Linguistic Resources in Canada May 29, 2012

Allow me to reply in English to your question. I am not very active on proz.com now, because of my work, but since I love the site and I love recruiting translators I will try and answer your question.
I have been recruiting both for internal and external positions for CLS Lexi-tech Ltd for ten years now, from Canada and from France.
Our experience in recruiting in France has been very positive and I don't see that it would be difficult for you to adapt to Canadian French and to our
... See more
Allow me to reply in English to your question. I am not very active on proz.com now, because of my work, but since I love the site and I love recruiting translators I will try and answer your question.
I have been recruiting both for internal and external positions for CLS Lexi-tech Ltd for ten years now, from Canada and from France.
Our experience in recruiting in France has been very positive and I don't see that it would be difficult for you to adapt to Canadian French and to our working environment. Au contraire!
Definitely there is a lack of resources in Canada, as was demonstrated already many years ago by the Translation Bureau. The situation is paradoxical in the sense that not very many agencies or companies or government departments are hiring internally at this point in time, and we, as an industry and a profession, run the risk of losing entire new generations of translators who cannot break into the market. This has been a cause of worry for me and our company. On the other hand, the volume of translation work arriving daily can fluctuate dramatically even for as large a company as ours, and therefore the number of internal resources cannot be raised without serious consideration. We have therefore increased the pool of available freelance translators, and have, at the same time, created a small central team that assigns all work to freelancers, as opposed to a having a large number of project managers try and attribute work, besides doing all their other tasks.
We have standardised and improved the workflow with freelancers and hopefully we have made a difference for them as well. We know them better, they get constant support and troubleshooting by a team whose job is working with and for freelancers.
This, however, does not change the fact that it is difficult for "finissants" or new graduates to break into the market and get established.
We are now implementing a new pilot project of internal apprenticeship (three months) for future freelancers, just to help their integration into the market, and train them to real life translation.
Remember that there is a program offered by the Canadian Embassy in France to young professionals, that allows you to get a visa to work in Canada. Applications are now closed for 2012, but will reopen for next year.
Best of luck.
Paola Ludovici
Director of DTP and External Resources
Directrice de l'éditique et des ressources extérieures
CLS Lexi-tech Ltd
Collapse

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:22
German to French
+ ...
Salut Sophia May 30, 2012

Même si je ne suis pas au Canada, je me permets un petit bout de réponse, car j'ai moi aussi une amie traductrice qui est partie s'installer au Canada, il y a environ 5 ans.
Quant à parler de pénurie, je ne peux pas en juger, mais il est clair que la situation de l'emploi salarié est beaucoup plus favorable qu'en France. Dès qu'elle s'est mise à la recherche d'un emploi, mon amie a été approchée par des chasseurs de tête ! Pour tous ceux qui connaissent le marché de l'emploi de
... See more
Même si je ne suis pas au Canada, je me permets un petit bout de réponse, car j'ai moi aussi une amie traductrice qui est partie s'installer au Canada, il y a environ 5 ans.
Quant à parler de pénurie, je ne peux pas en juger, mais il est clair que la situation de l'emploi salarié est beaucoup plus favorable qu'en France. Dès qu'elle s'est mise à la recherche d'un emploi, mon amie a été approchée par des chasseurs de tête ! Pour tous ceux qui connaissent le marché de l'emploi de la trad en France, c'est suffisamment éloquent.
Elle trouvé un emploi rapidement et a eu le choix entre plusieurs. Et elle a aussi eu la possibilité d'en changer. Je ne parle pas du fait qu'entre temps, elle a déjà la nationalité canadienne.
Par contre, à ma connaissance, la demande concerne essentiellement l'anglais et le français, les autres langues sont très marginales.
Collapse

Stefan Sobanski, C. Tr.
Stefan Sobanski, C. Tr.
Canada
Member (2012)
English to French
+ ...
I agree 100 % with your post Jan 11, 2013

Paola Ludovici MacQuarrie wrote:

Our experience in recruiting in France has been very positive and I don't see that it would be difficult for you to adapt to Canadian French and to our working environment. Au contraire!
Definitely there is a lack of resources in Canada, as was demonstrated already many years ago by the Translation Bureau. The situation is paradoxical in the sense that not very many agencies or companies or government departments are hiring internally at this point in time, and we, as an industry and a profession, run the risk of losing entire new generations of translators who cannot break into the market. This has been a cause of worry for me and our company. On the other hand, the volume of translation work arriving daily can fluctuate dramatically even for as large a company as ours, and therefore the number of internal resources cannot be raised without serious consideration. We have therefore increased the pool of available freelance translators, and have, at the same time, created a small central team that assigns all work to freelancers, as opposed to a having a large number of project managers try and attribute work, besides doing all their other tasks.
We have standardised and improved the workflow with freelancers and hopefully we have made a difference for them as well. We know them better, they get constant support and troubleshooting by a team whose job is working with and for freelancers.
This, however, does not change the fact that it is difficult for "finissants" or new graduates to break into the market and get established.
We are now implementing a new pilot project of internal apprenticeship (three months) for future freelancers, just to help their integration into the market, and train them to real life translation.
Remember that there is a program offered by the Canadian Embassy in France to young professionals, that allows you to get a visa to work in Canada. Applications are now closed for 2012, but will reopen for next year.
Best of luck.
Paola Ludovici
Director of DTP and External Resources
Directrice de l'éditique et des ressources extérieures
CLS Lexi-tech Ltd

I definitely agree with this statement. I'm very glad I stumbled upon your post while perusing through the numerous Proz forums. While reading, I thought to myself "I wasn't mistaken, this is the actual state of the situation"!
Let me explain: I just finished my degree at Concordia University, last spring (May 2012). I have been actively seeking an in-house position in a translation company based in Montreal ever since. This endeavor hasn't proved very successful, so I decided to start off as an independent translator. To my regret, I have only received a few contracts since I obtained my degree (which can be counted on my fingers). Despite these few contracts, I have been proactively making a daily usage of Proz, which I find an incredible tool for networking, knowledge and many other things related to the profession. I find it extremely hard to break into the market and become established, as you mentioned.

I'm taking this opportunity to broach the possibility of integrating your pilot project of internal apprenticeship. I would be more than happy to be given a chance to acquire experience within your company.

I'm including in this reply a link to my Proz.com profile page and would be honored to be able to collaborate with you and your company. My personal email address is [email protected].

Have a great weekend!

• http://www.proz.com/translator/1302881

•  
  • jemmegane
    jemmegane
    English to French
    + ...
    Je suis fortement interessé Jan 26, 2013

J'ai lu avec beaucoup d'intérêt l'aperçu que vous avez brossé du marché de l'emploi au Québec. Je suis à la recherche d'un coup de pouce dans ce sens et ce serait un plaisir pour moi de pouvoir bénéficier de cette formation en interne. Merci de me fournir plus d'informations via mon adresse e-mail [email protected]

Merci

Jo1 (X)
    Jo1 (X)
    United States
    English to French
    Rétro à propos de votre texte Feb 18, 2013

Bonjour Sophia,

Québécoise, je vis présentement en France et j'étudie en ligne pour obtenir un baccalauréat universitaire avec une université québécoise. D'après ce que l'on me dit, il y aurait 600 étudiants inscrits à ce bac. J'ai des amies qui sont traductrices, graduées de deux universités différentes. Il y a beaucoup de personnes qui veulent devenir traductrices ou traducteurs et parmi elles, des détentrices de 1-2 baccalauréats universitaires. Les personnes
    ... See more
    Bonjour Sophia,

Québécoise, je vis présentement en France et j'étudie en ligne pour obtenir un baccalauréat universitaire avec une université québécoise. D'après ce que l'on me dit, il y aurait 600 étudiants inscrits à ce bac. J'ai des amies qui sont traductrices, graduées de deux universités différentes. Il y a beaucoup de personnes qui veulent devenir traductrices ou traducteurs et parmi elles, des détentrices de 1-2 baccalauréats universitaires. Les personnes que je connais travaillent soit à leur compte, soit pour des agences. Les revenus sont moyens. Elles ont tout le temps du travail mais un ou deux clients majeurs et de plus petites entreprises.

Il y a McGill University, Concordia, l'université du Québec et l'université de Montréal qui dispensent des cours de traduction et j'en oublie peut-être Le marché est quand même petit. Au Québec, l'anglais, le français et l'espagnol sont parlés par un grand nombre de citoyens. Il faut se distinguer...par d'autres langues.

JO

Bonne chance.
    Sophia Ozog wrote:

Bonjour,

J'aimerais savoir si cela est vrai. Je suis actuellement à mon compte mais envisage de peut-être, éventuellement, m'installer à mon tour au Québec d'ici 1 an ou 2 ans après avoir muri ce projet. Rien n'est décidé pour l'instant mais autant prendre des informations auprès de vous le plus tôt possible. Si je décide d'émigrer, je pense que je m'orienterai d'abord vers un poste de traducteur salarié, histoire de m'habituer à mon nouvel environnement et au français du Québec.

Parce que l'herbe n'est pas nécessairement plus verte ailleurs, je me demande donc s'il est difficile de trouver un emploi salarié de traducteur au Québec dans ma combinaison de langues et si les différences entre le français de métropole et celui du Québec ne constitueraient pas un handicap pour moi et pour d'éventuels employeurs. Qu'en pensez-vous ?

Je vous remercie par avance pour toutes les infos que vous pourrez m'apporter pour y voir plus clair,

Cordialement,

[Edited at 2012-03-30 17:32 GMT]
    Collapse

yogim
    yogim
    Arabic to French
    + ...
    Possibilités d'emploi de traducteur salarié au Québec May 14, 2013

Dear Paola Ludovici,

I take this opportunity to introduce myself, I am completing my third year in Baccalaureate in translation at Université de Montréal. I can not even find any opportunity to volunteer to translate from English into French. What will be then, the situation when I ask ask for a job?
    Please let me know how your pilot project works
    Kind regards
    Yogim

yogim
    yogim
    Arabic to French
    + ...
    Possibilités d'emploi de traducteur salarié au Québec May 14, 2013

Bonjour Sophia,
    Je ne veux pas vous décourager dans votre futur projet. Cependant, je suis étudiante en troisième année de bac ( équivalent de licence ) en traduction à l'Université de Montréal , je cherche à faire du bénévolat dans le domaine de la traduction, je n'arrive même pas. Je me pose la question: où réside le problème?
    Bonne chance
    Yogim

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possibilités d'emploi de traducteur salarié au Québec

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
    Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »