Thread poster: edb79

edb79
Canada
Local time: 07:22
English to French
+ ...
Jan 21, 2014

Hello everyone,

I am currently a full-time employee and do coordination, translation, editing and revision. Circumstances have changed at work and in my personal life which make work/life balance very difficult - not sure how long I will be able to keep up this pace. Plus, being a military spouse, we will be moving around the country (if not oversees) in a few years. So I am trying to gather all the information that I can on how to be a freelance translator and run a business and what the repercussions are on the business side of things when we move to different provinces/countries.

In an ideal worlds, I was planning to start freelancing on the side. But due to those new circumstances, I am too exhausted after my "normal" day that I can't do anything of any acceptable quality on the side.

Is there a course, book or checklist anywhere on how to go about things (specific to Canada would be ideal)?

I know I don't need to register in Ontario if I only use my name as my business name; but what happens when we move to a different province? I would assume that it changes with provinces and countries. What is the best way to go about finding out all these things? Go through Canada Revenu or a local accountant?

Any program or technique recommendations to do book keeping?

I've been researching computer-assisted translation programs as well. I've worked with LogiTerm and MultiTrans. Very interested in MemoQ and Déjà Vu X2... So hard to decide!

Any suggestions on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated

Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:22
Polish to English
+ ...
Some ideas Jan 22, 2014

Hi,
Revenue Canada offered free workshops related to small business start-up, taxation, etc. I am not sure they still have the face-to-face classes but they have some videos available on their website.
Also try these:
http://www.canadabusiness.ca/eng/sgc-35/
http://www.ontario.ca/business-and-economy/small-business-enterprise-centre-locations
http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Business/sbec/seminars-events/Pages/welcome.aspx

Regards,
Ewa

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Going from employee to "mobile" freelancer

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search