ATIO entrance exam
Thread poster: KristelV

KristelV  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2015

Hello,
Has anyone taken the ATIO entrance exam in Canada? I will be taken it shortly and I'd like to have some extra information on the test.
Thank you.
Kristel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Ewa Olszowa  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
Polish to English
+ ...
2008 Jan 29, 2015

I did back in 2008. From what I remember there were two parts - the language part was about correcting the language and grammar in the text and the other was on code of ethics - some scenarios and what would you do if...

Direct link Reply with quote
 

KristelV  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO entrance exam Jan 29, 2015

Ewa Olszowa wrote:

I did back in 2008. From what I remember there were two parts - the language part was about correcting the language and grammar in the text and the other was on code of ethics - some scenarios and what would you do if...


Thank you Ewa.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
ATIO Feb 2, 2015

I did it a couple of months ago. Exactly as Ewa said, there will be a couple of texts which you have to find errors in (spelling, grammar) and then a few questions are asked about ATIO's bylaws and code of ethics. They will send you an email beforehand and tell you which parts of the bylaws and code of ethics you need to study.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cenk Haznacı  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
How long wait before the results? Jun 15, 2015

Hello everyone,

May I ask how long did you wait to get your entrance exam results? I have just taken the ATIO entrance exam yesterday and curious about the wait.

Thanks in advance


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KristelV  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO entrance exam Jun 16, 2015

Cenk Haznacı wrote:

Hello everyone,

May I ask how long did you wait to get your entrance exam results? I have just taken the ATIO entrance exam yesterday and curious about the wait.

Thanks in advance


Hi Cenk,

I took the test at the end of January and got the results at the end of March... so it does take quite a while.
Good luckicon_smile.gif

Kristel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Cenk Haznacı  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
Member (2008)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Oh... Jul 9, 2015

That is really long... Good to know though, thanks KristelVicon_smile.gif

It is really sloppy of ATIO not to declare this information on their website. When I asked the exam officer at the exam venue, she said they didn't tell her and that she was just a volunteer. I emailed ATIO to no avail as well... It is really difficult to get any information out of them.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 14:05
German to English
+ ...
some info Jul 9, 2015

I did the exams for both my language pairs a few decades ago. I was also co-marker for one of the pairs way back when, as well as a tutor for the preparatory course. Grading is done along two broad areas: "translation" = correctness of translation, "language" = the target language, with correct grammar, spelling, tone, 'not sounding like a translation' etc. It is really worth it to do the preparatory course first. when I was doing it there were three sets of two texts to translate (6 altogether) done over as many weeks. The tutor - person marking it - sends back feedback which is supposed to not only show errors, but also suggestions, pointing out weaknesses that you might want to strengthen, advice etc. It gives you a feel for what is wanted in the exam.

Direct link Reply with quote
 

KristelV  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:05
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ATIO Jul 10, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

I did the exams for both my language pairs a few decades ago. I was also co-marker for one of the pairs way back when, as well as a tutor for the preparatory course. Grading is done along two broad areas: "translation" = correctness of translation, "language" = the target language, with correct grammar, spelling, tone, 'not sounding like a translation' etc. It is really worth it to do the preparatory course first. when I was doing it there were three sets of two texts to translate (6 altogether) done over as many weeks. The tutor - person marking it - sends back feedback which is supposed to not only show errors, but also suggestions, pointing out weaknesses that you might want to strengthen, advice etc. It gives you a feel for what is wanted in the exam.


Thank you Maxi.
Yes, I'm planning to do the preparatory course this year. It is a shame that they don't offer them very often though. I think it's only once a year.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
NancyLynn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATIO entrance exam

Advanced search







Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search