Registering as a freelancer
Thread poster: Paul Adie

Paul Adie  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 9, 2008

Hello fellow translators!

Just on to ask for clarification of something that continually confuses me. I currently work part-time as an in-house translator in Barcelona, but would like to do some freelance work to supplement my income. I have been told various things - but I now think that I only have to register with the Hacienda to pay taxes, but I do not need to pay seguridad social. Am I correct? Also, issuing invoices here in Spain confuses me too, with 16% VAT and another item to be added also. Could someone clarify the whole process?

Have a good week translating!


[Edited at 2008-06-10 13:44]


Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
Member (2006)
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
registering process Jun 10, 2008

Here you are some useful information about the steps to be taken when registering as a freelancer in Spain:¿cuanto_cuesta_hacerse_autonomo.html#372566

You can also search in forum archive for other relevant informations.

Actually, I don't know if you have to or not to pay Seguridad Social when you're already paying it as an in-house translator. I guess that everything depends on your income as a freelancer. If it's bigger than Salario Mínimo Interprofesional, which is 600 EUR now, I guess you will have to pay some additional Seguridad Social fee.

Another thing - invoicing:
In Spain yopu have to add to your invoces 16%VAT tax and deduct 15% of IRPF (Impuesto sobre la Renta de las Personas Físicas), so your invoice, for example, looks like this:

base imponible: 100 EUR
+ IVA 16%: 16 EUR
- IRPF 15%: 15 EUR

Total: 101 EUR

The IRPF value you deduct in your invoices is 15% or 7% (during the rest of your first tax year as a freelancer and following two years). So if you will start as a freelancer this month, you can deduct only 7% IRPF until December 2010.

Another thing: each three months (when a tax trimester comes to its end) you're obliged to pay back to the State the VAT you have previously collected from your clients in your invoices.

That's all (more or less).

Regards from Andalusiaicon_smile.gif


lexical  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:21
Portuguese to English
small addition Jun 10, 2008

Just to add one thing to Monika's excellent resumé - if you have clients outside Spain, you don't charge then VAT (IVA) and you don't deduct IRPF. If you want to know how this works, try searching for "operador intracomunitario" in the Spanish foreign language forum. Lots of good advice there. The Hacienda may tell you otherwise, but take that with a pinch of salt - they're not always clued up on this aspect.

Good luck!


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Registering as a freelancer

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search