Thread poster: Lucy Williams

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:38
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
Mar 16, 2009

Hi

I'm currently working part time but would like to move into translation full time. I pay SS contributions and am "de alta" with hacienda. I'll be working until the end of June, when I will become autonoma. I wanted to start looking for translation work as I understand it may take some time to get a good amount of work and I wanted to know 2 things...I wonder if anyone can help?

1. I've read a thread about billing up to 600E a month without having to be autonoma, as I'm already paying SS contributions through work and am registered with hacienda, I assume I can invoice up to 600E a month as it won't be my habitual income?

2. If I do, when i write an invoice, what happens about IVA and IRPF?

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The closest I can come Mar 16, 2009

Lucy Williams wrote:

1. I've read a thread about billing up to 600E a month without having to be autonoma, as I'm already paying SS contributions through work and am registered with hacienda, I assume I can invoice up to 600E a month as it won't be my habitual income?

I haven't heard about that, but it could be a variant of the condition of not making the minimum wage (salario mínimo interprofesional) per annum. At any rate, it seems this varies from one region (comunidad autónoma) to another. For example, there seem to be precedents in Barcelona who only pay SS if they make the minimum wage, whereas I'm told in Madrid you pay first and file for reimbursements or a court order later. I suggest you ask your Delegación de la SS.

2. If I do, when i write an invoice, what happens about IVA and IRPF?

You make a quarterly VAT declaration and pay the IVA due for the period billed. That's 16% of tax base. Hence, for every €100, you pay in €16.

IRPF will depend on how you've filled up your Form 036. If you've opted for witholding at source, it will mean a deduction of 7% from the tax base for the first few (3?) years of practice, and 15% after that. If you've opted for the quarterly declaration, your invoices will reflect no IRPF, but you'll have to pay in 20% directly every quarter (Form 110).

You'll find an example of the calculation here: http://www.proz.com/topic/125800

Hope it helps.

Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
in Andalucía Mar 17, 2009

Parrot wrote:

Lucy Williams wrote:

I haven't heard about that, but it could be a variant of the condition of not making the minimum wage (salario mínimo interprofesional) per annum. At any rate, it seems this varies from one region (comunidad autónoma) to another. For example, there seem to be precedents in Barcelona who only pay SS if they make the minimum wage, whereas I'm told in Madrid you pay first and file for reimbursements or a court order later. I suggest you ask your Delegación de la SS.

As I can see that you live in Andalusia (as I), this is how it works here:

If you think that you're income will be lower than Salario Mínimo Interprofesional, you have to register at Agencia Tributaria (Hacienda) as freelacer and not register at all at Seguridad Social. The amount of Salario Mínimo Interprofesional fixed for 2009 is 624 EUR/month.
( http://www.boe.es/aeboe/consultas/bases_datos/doc.php?coleccion=iberlex&id=2008/20958 )

If you see that your income is growing and that you'll start gaining more than SMI (>624 EUR/month), you should do the following:
- go to Ag. Tributaria and unregister (baja),
- later on, register once more with Ag. Tributaria and go to Seg. Social and also register.
In that way you'll start to pay also Social Security contributions.

You can find some useful information about this process and invoicing in Spain here:

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/107444-registering_as_a_freelancer.html#873809

http://www.proz.com/forum.php/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/116114-facturar_sin_ser_autonoma.html#950993

http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/125800-¿cómo_emitir_factura_como_autónomo.html

Best regards,
M.

Lucy Williams  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Already paying SS Mar 17, 2009

Thanks very much Monica for your comments.

The problem is that I ALREADY work in a related field (not translating) and earn just over the salario minimo, so I pay SS and am registered as employed at Hacienda. For various reasons I can't stop work until the end of June. I think I might have to ask at hacienda.

Thanks for your input

Monika Jakacka Márquez  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Polish to Spanish
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Another link Mar 17, 2009

Mayme you'll find some additional interesting information here:
http://www.proz.com/forum/translation_in_spain_la_traducción_en_españa/51090-trabajo_a_media_jornada_y_alta_en_la_ss_¿compatibles.html

Regards from Granada,

Monika

Catherine Reay  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
nueva ayuda para autónomos con pluriactividad Mar 19, 2009

Hello,

I just received an email today which may be relevant to your situation - or to others who see the topic title:

"Según una disposición novedosa de este año, los trabajadores por
cuenta propia incluidos en el Régimen Especial de Trabajadores Autónomos
que, en razón de su trabajo por cuenta ajena (contrato laboral), coticen
simultaneamente, respecto de contingencias comunes, en régimen de
pluriactividad y lo hayan hecho en el año 2008 por una cuantía igual o
superior a 10.440 euros, podrán solicitar la devolución del 50 por ciento
del exceso en que sus cotizaciones superen la mencionada cuantía. Hay un
tope máximo que corresponde al 50 por ciento de las cuotas ingresadas en el
citado Régimen Especial, en razón de su cotización por las contingencias
comunes de cobertura obligatoria (incapacidad temporal).

El importe de 10.440 euros corresponde a la cuantía de las aportaciones o
cotizaciones tanto del trabajador como del empresario-empleador en el
Régimen General (importe TC's), así como las efectuadas en el Régimen
Especial (cuotas de autónomos).

La devolución se efectuará a instancia del interesado, que habrá de
formularla en el primer trimestre del ejercicio siguiente. Por tanto hay
tiempo hasta el 31 de marzo de 2009 para solicitar este importe. La
solicitud se efectuará mediante el modelo de solicitud de ingresos indebidos
TC13.1. Con la solicitud se puede acompañar como documentación anexa, copia
de los boletines de cotización de autónomos pagados del ejercicio 2008.

Esta medida es excepcional y sólo se aplicará durante el presente ejercicio.
Para más información se puede ir al INSS o llamar al teléfono 901502050."

Hope it helps.
Regards,
Katy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working part time (and paying SS contributions) and translating

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search