From DipTrans (CIoL) to "Traductor Jurado"
Thread poster: Liliana Marquesini

Liliana Marquesini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
May 22, 2014

Hi,

I live within the EU and hold a Diploma in Translation from the Chartered Institute of Linguists. I would like to become a "Traductor Jurado" for Spain. Has anybody had any experience in this respect? I have read many comments about how difficult the "Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y Culto" could be in this regard but none of them is based on a Dip Trans from the CIoL.

I would be very grateful for your comments.

Thanks,
Liliana

[Edited at 2014-05-22 11:19 GMT]

Christina McGown  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:49
Spanish to English
+ ...
Would be great to know this... May 22, 2014

It would be great to know this information. I have been wondering how to become a "Traductor Jurado" for some time now and the level of difficulty presented by the exam. Thank you for bringing it up, Liliana.

All replies appreciated.

Kind regards,

Christina

Elena Martínez Rodríguez
Spain
Local time: 10:49
English to Spanish
A quick line about "traductor jurado" examination May 22, 2014

Hi Liliana and Christina,

I'm sorry these lines may disappoint you but the Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores has announced no date so far to sit the exam (which, by the way, it should be once a year). Besides, if I'm not mistaken, in order to work as a "traductor jurado" you should be resident in Spain.

As there are quite a few things to bear in mind when taking the exam, I'm attaching a couple of links that will be certainly clarifying:

- Some ideas about the new examination: http://www.lalinternadeltraductor.org/n4/traductor-interprete-jurado.html

- Info from the Ministerio's web site: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/es/Paginas/Buscador.aspx

Hope this helps.

Elena

Helena Chavarria  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's practically impossible May 22, 2014

As far as I know there are only two ways for becoming a sworn translator in Spain:

Passing a degree in translating and interpretation in a Spanish university, or taking the official exam that is held in Madrid once a year.

As regards the exam, which is aimed towards Spanish natives, usually no more than 10/300 people pass.

Here are some links where you can find further information.

http://www.ihes.com/bcn/traduccion/jurado_requisitos.html

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/es/ServiciosAlCiudadano/OportunidadesProfesionalesFormacion/OportunidadesProfesionales/traduccioneinterpretacion/Paginas/Examen.aspx

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
No direct possibility May 22, 2014

As summarised by Helena, the only two options that existed to become a sworn translator were the public examination with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and completing a Bachelor's degree in translation with certain universities, with a high number of credits in legal and business translation.

This second option was quite unfair to those who had made a huge effort to pass the exam in the past, and in fact filled the market with sworn translators who, quite honestly, were not ripe for the work they were suddenly entitled to do. As a result of this situation, the possibility to become a sworn translator at university was discontinued a couple of years ago, and now the only possibility is to pass the really hard public exam.

However, given the fact that the DipTrans has a postgraduate level in the UK, chances are that it could be accepted as the degree required in order to sit the exam with the Ministry, although this is something I have never researched myself (also a holder of a DipTrans).

[Edited at 2014-05-22 21:14 GMT]

xxxAdrian MM.
French to English
+ ...
City of London Scrivener-Linguist Notary Public May 22, 2014

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

This second option was quite unfair to those who had made a huge effort to pass the exam in the past, and in fact filled the market with sworn translators who, quite honestly, were not ripe for the work they were suddenly entitled to do. As a result of this situation, the possibility to become a sworn translator at university was discontinued a couple of years ago, and now the only possibility is to pass the really hard public exam.

[Edited at 2014-05-22 21:14 GMT]

Translations notarised by City of London Scrivener Notaries Public - examined and qualified in 2 foreign languages and concomitant legal systems - count as 'sworn translations' in Roman civil-law Continental European countries.

So

1. either take 5 years to qualify as such a Notary (including Articles of Notarial Clerkship) or

2. get onto the panel of approved translators of a firm of such Notaries.

Further reading: Brooke's Notary, Sweet & Maxwell

Liliana Marquesini  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Reconsidering... May 23, 2014

Thanks to all of you for such thorough comments and helpful links.

When I originally considered becoming a “Traductor/a – Interprete Jurado/a” (TIJ), I got encouraged by the information provided in some links like this one: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/es/ServiciosAlCiudadano/OportunidadesProfesionalesFormacion/OportunidadesProfesionales/traduccioneinterpretacion/Paginas/Examen.aspx.
“Requisitos para solicitar el reconocimiento de cualificaciones profesionales
- Tener la nacionalidad de un Estado miembro de la Unión Europea o de un país firmante del Acuerdo sobre el Espacio Económico Europeo.

- Haber obtenido cualificaciones profesionales análogas a las exigidas en España para ejercer la profesión de Traductor-Intérprete Jurado.”

...where the process doesn't look easy but at least I thought it was doable.

After reading other forums, qualified translators (although no DipTrans IoL) were commenting on the absolute chaos that the whole process is. And so far, after years, none of them got the TIJ status! I cannot help being optimist and I thought that maybe with a DipTrans would be easier...

Well, it looks like it is not going to be easy and I should reconsider the whole idea of becoming a TIJ.

I very much appreciate your input!!

Liliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Monika Jakacka Márquez[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From DipTrans (CIoL) to "Traductor Jurado"

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search